Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mineral Makeup?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So last year I became extremly allergic to make-up around my eyes... They puff up and go bright red and then start peeling if I wear any make-up for more than about an hour... and then I have to use steroid cream to calm it down.

I've heard about this mineral makeup which doesn't have any artificial stuff in it. Thought it might be worth a try but I dunno where to get any which is fairly cheap. Also wanted to know if any of you use it and what you think of it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh. God. Yes. I have kind of sensitive skin and I buy http://www.purminerals.com/4-in-1-Pressed-Mineral-Makeup-Foundation-With-SPF-15 (Ok, I don't wear makeup much and I get my yearly fill from christmas gifts, I don't buy it) It has sunscrean and you have any inperfections, any acne, any veins, they are gone. And it doesn't look like you've put a pound of makeup on. My mother also wears it, she has sensitive skin. Oh seriously, get it. Not necessairly that but any mineral makeup Im sure is the same. I should be an advocate, I have the best before and afters :p And sometimes it may seem expensive, but they last for just about ever (I've ended up throwing the last couple away because they get too old) plus sometimes, unfortunatly, for sensitive skin you have to pay a little more.
    At www.lilylolo.co.uk you can get it quite cheap and you can get sample pots that costs 99p. I have a sample pot and as you only use a small amount at a time it looks like it'll last for ages. It gives good coverage and it doesn't irritate my skin.
    This is a picture of the scale of the sample.
    I have this...http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=44959&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

You only have to put a tiny bit of and it lasts ages. I have sensitive skin and I haven't had any problems :)
    I've just ordered loads of samples, thanks for that link! I've been wanting to try mineral foundation without shelling out loads of money first :)

me tooo :D iv heard lots of things about lily lolo too but i just thought it was mega expensive, at least i can try it all out now without spending loads.
    i use everyday minerals and love it, i have sensitive skin but foundations dont usually bother me. I tired this mainly because of the rave reviews
    Lea I think I might love you. I've been trying to figure out a cheap way to buy lots of different shades of foundation for freelancing without spending ££££££ and you've given me it :heart:.
    I've been using Lily Lolo Porcelain foundation for about a year as I find it really hard to get a good match foundation for my skin tone. I'm so so pale, even the fairest standard branded products come out far too orange. A pot lasts absolutely ages as you really don't need to use very much to get good coverage and the finish is brilliant.

just ordering me some now :thumb:
    I bought the 3 lightest shade samples and found the porcelein was the one for me.
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Is there any counters in say department stores that can match your skin tone etc?
    MAC dooooooooo.

And their foundations are very good, and they do mineral makeup.
    Good call, I love it :thumb:

It can be a bit weird to get the hand of applying at first, you really do only need to use a very tiny bit.

I love it so far :) Have only used it the once and definitely seems more my skin tone than the Maybelline one I was using.
    I use it.
    It is great.
    Well I think so.
    I ordered some samples just now. I will be holding you guys to ransom if it's shit :p
    Ok, you guys are off the hook. I love it!

Even the hubster has noticed something is different :eek: :heart:
    I love mine too :) Looks far more natural than the other one I was using and feels so light but can still tell it's there. Thankoooooooo
    I ordered some samples but I don't think I'm applying it quite right..I bought the application sponge to use to.
    Thank you so much for starting this thread, I've always wanted to try Mineral Makeup!

Ordered the samples from Lily lolo and loves it! Best foundation i've tried. Everyone says how natural it looks yet gives you a really pretty shimmer!

One question I would like to ask is... Has anyone had difficulties removing the lili lolo foundation? I wash, cleanse and tone my face and yet it's still there! I don't mind though as I still look pretty when I go to bed :flirt:
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I ordered some samples but I don't think I'm applying it quite right..I bought the application sponge to use to.

yeah, i dont think im applying it right either :/ im not sure how to. i didnt buy the sponge but at the moment im applying it with a brush. im pretty sure thats wrong, although it does look okay...hmm.
    I have a small kabuki brush. I dip it in the foundation just so there's a small amount on the brush, I then swirl it in the lid clockwise then anti clockwise for a few seconds, I then tap it on the top of my drawers so they bristles are upwards, then apply it to my face in circular motions. If you need a heavier coverage apply small amounts till you get the desired coverage.
    I got the brush from the NYC mineral foundation which was rubbish for me.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I have a small kabuki brush. I dip it in the foundation just so there's a small amount on the brush, I then swirl it in the lid clockwise then anti clockwise for a few seconds, I then tap it on the top of my drawers so they bristles are upwards, then apply it to my face in circular motions. If you need a heavier coverage apply small amounts till you get the desired coverage.

mmm, which one is better do you reckon? the super kabuki or super buffer? i dont want to buy both, lol.

i ordered 4 samples yesterday. hopefully, one of the four ive ordered will match my skintone and i'll be able to order a full sized foundation this week along with a brush :)
    lea_uk wrote: »

oh my gosh! whats with the swirling thing, is that meant to make it better? it sounds confusing haha. i do sort of the same though, apply it in small amounts in circular motions. i need a better brush though. il look out for a kabuki one even though im not sure what they are. :)
    http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT4714&PRODUCT_ID=PROD71033

That's a kabuki, although it's not a very clear picture and it's way expensive here (I got a used cheapy one from the US) but it's good. It's usually got a flat bottom so it stands up. I can try and take a picture later. They're usually pretty small. Awesome for powder though.

http://www.urbandecay.com/categories/BigBuddhaBrush.cfm < like that, but smaller and rounder.
    Franki wrote: »
    http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT4714&PRODUCT_ID=PROD71033

That's a kabuki, although it's not a very clear picture and it's way expensive here (I got a used cheapy one from the US) but it's good. It's usually got a flat bottom so it stands up. I can try and take a picture later. They're usually pretty small. Awesome for powder though.

http://www.urbandecay.com/categories/BigBuddhaBrush.cfm < like that, but smaller and rounder.

ooo.

franki, do you reckon the brush that comes with this foundation http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=44959&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051 (which is the one i have now) is the same thing?

it applies my mineral foundation rather well. just wondering whether its actually worth buying a new one or whether i should just use this one that came with the foundation im currently using. im such a cheap skate, haha :blush:
    ooo.

franki, do you reckon the brush that comes with this foundation http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=44959&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051 (which is the one i have now) is the same thing?

it applies my mineral foundation rather well. just wondering whether its actually worth buying a new one or whether i should just use this one that came with the foundation im currently using. im such a cheap skate, haha :blush:
    It's probably nowhere near the same quality, but yeh, I'd say so. If it works, then go for it. I personally wouldn't use it because I've become a bit of a makeup snob but if you do decide you want to save up for a high quality one, it won't hurt to use it in the meantime. Thing I'd worry about is how long it will last, since it's probably only designed to be used for the lifetime of that pot.

*shrug*.
    my god, im so glad im not a makeup snob, or not even really that bothered about it at all because i cant even imagine spending £30 on a makeup brush!! thats crazy. i like makeup and all but i dont really wear much of it, i think il be sticking to using the brush i already am using which looks pretty similiar to those ones :D although i do have a tenner left on a boots giftcard so i might have a look at the urban decay stuff. i love urban decay eyeliner. yum.
    my god, im so glad im not a makeup snob, or not even really that bothered about it at all because i cant even imagine spending £30 on a makeup brush!! thats crazy. i like makeup and all but i dont really wear much of it, i think il be sticking to using the brush i already am using which looks pretty similiar to those ones :D although i do have a tenner left on a boots giftcard so i might have a look at the urban decay stuff. i love urban decay eyeliner. yum.
    I wouldn't have spent it if I hadn't seen it for cheap on one of my LJ communities :p.

Urban Decay are, I'm told, really good. I haven't tried any of their eyeshadows but a lot of people compare it to MAC so I assume they're good :).

haha, same! although, i must admit, i was bought some expensive eye make up brushes for christmas and they are amazing. they apply my eye makeup so well. i got a blusher/cheek brush too and thats really good.

franki has probably got a point about the brush that came with my foundation. errr, franki, do you reckon the ones they sell on that website are ok? the lilylolo one? they aren't that expensive. if not, ill probably go for one off the mac website when i get paid. won't be getting anything from urban decay though. everything ive bought from them in the past has been rubbish :grump: