Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Redundancy/Payment in lieu of notice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, i worked for woolies and obviously got made redunant, i hadn't worked for the company long enough to get proper redundancy pay, but i was still entiled to payment in lieu of notice and holiday pay, now when i actually worked for them, i didn;t earn enough to be taxed, but they've taxed both these payments.

Am i entitled to get the tax back? How would i go about it?

I'm not very clued up about this whole taxation thing, so any advice would be muchly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    USUALLY it will be rectified in the first pay slip of your new employment. If you need it before you might be best contacting the Tax Office.
  • Options
    Its April soon, the end of the tax year.

You should be able to claim it back then, I think. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Pay in leiu of notice and holiday pay are both taxable, so receiving this in pay packet has probably cauised you to be taxed.

If you get another job, and get paid, in this tax year, then give them the P45 from Wollies and your tax will be adjusted in your first pay packet. If you dont get another job or get one and dont get paid before 5th April, then once you get your P60 (by the end of May) you can aplly for the overpaid tax to be rebated by contacting your tax office.

http://search3.openobjects.com/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1 Use that link from HM Revenue and Customs, put the refernce number from your P45/P60 in, will look like 123/AB56789, and it will give you a number to call.