Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

tax return please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok... my girl friend is doing her dads tax return online. shes stuck. it should be 3000- 3500 pounds bout has for some reason gone up to five thousand. we dont know why and i cant realy help as im on the phone to her and cant see what shes got in front of her.

any help or reason as to why its gone up would be good. he usualy pays 18% but this doesnt quite seem right. this is coming out at about a third or so.

any help greaty appreciated.

Mort

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well not a tax expert but what is 3000-3500? and what do you mean it has gone up to 5000? You could check out their website by putting in hmrc into google. It might help explain things?
    she told me the tax return is usualy £3000 to £3500.
    she tried it online and it came up as £5000ish.
    her dad hanst moved jobs to my knowledge.
    He might be best consulting a financial advisor.

Tax rates changed over last year.
    Try the hmrc internet site there will be information on there to help I suspect. There will also be a number somewhere to contact and try that tomorrow for some help.
    For the tax year 2007/08 you work tax out on your income (after you've taken off the £5225 personal allowance) as below:

First £2230 taxed at 10%
    Next £32,370 at 20%
    Anything above 40%

Maybe he's earnt more money this year so he's gone into the higher rate tax band?

In all honesty though, if she can't understand why he's paying so much tax maybe he should have taken his stuff to an accountant? And leaving it to the last week doesn't help either as if her local accountants are anything like us, they'll be rushed off their feet.
    thanks, its just that she does most of the paperwork for her dad. ive put what youve said through to her.

thanks again.
    Simmyluvsu wrote: »
    For the tax year 2007/08 you work tax out on your income (after you've taken off the £5225 personal allowance) as below:

First £2230 taxed at 10%
    Next £32,370 at 20%
    Anything above 40%

Maybe he's earnt more money this year so he's gone into the higher rate tax band?

In all honesty though, if she can't understand why he's paying so much tax maybe he should have taken his stuff to an accountant? And leaving it to the last week doesn't help either as if her local accountants are anything like us, they'll be rushed off their feet.

:yes: Higher rate tax band could be one.

Plus does the £3000 odd normal figure include his payment on account?

Might be worth ringing HMRC as the online system does have its faults, but they will be really busy as well.