Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

emergency tax

how do i avoid this?

i start my new job on march 2nd. we get paid on the 23rd of each month. im assuming i'll be getting paid for 3 weeks work on this date. im not sure as i haven't started yet. i highly doubt they are going to make me wait until the 23rd april though.

im working up until friday 30th february at my current place. i'll get my final wage the week later on 6th march.

how soon can i get my p45 after this date? will i be able to get it on the 6th? i work for an agency and all of my payslips are online so they can't post it to me (and if they did it would go to the wrong place...ive informed them of my new address SO many times now, they still haven't changed it :rolleyes:) do you reckon i could just go in for it?

do i have to send my p45 to the tax office or do my agency/my new employer sort all that out? is 2 weeks between the two pay dates enough to sort this all out?

just a bit worried because i can't afford to be emergency taxed that month as i may be moving into a new place that requires a month's rent upfront and a month's deposit :(

if i am emergency taxed, will i get it back in the next pay cheque or will i have to wait until the end of the tax year? :(

so sick of worrying about money :banghead:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you dont have a P45 (and good luck getting it from the agency in two weeks, it took my six weeks and a very arsey phone call to get mine when I stopped temping) fill a P46 in (which you can get from your new employers), you want the "This my only/main job but I've had another job in this tax year" and you should get put on a Week/Month 1 tax code, doesnt make a massive difference to your overall tax liabilty.

Give your P45/P46 to your new employers and they will submit the details on your behalf. If you fill a P46 in and then receive a P45, make your you give that to them as well.
  • Options
    so if i hand in a P46 when i start, i should get taxed normally?

whats the whole week/month 1 tax code? at the moment, my tax code is 603L 0 and im taxed normally.
  • Options
    When i started my 'new' job (over a year ago) - i'd not received my p45 and so i asked our HR about it - they advised to fill in a p46, which i did and i got taxed normally.

When i got my p45, i just gave them a copy of that.

My advice would be to follow the same route!
  • Options
    One thing I would add that is if you're going to be relying on money for that month then it's worth finding out when you'll first get paid and how long it will be for.

I've worked a few places that have had pay month cut offs mid way through the month that they pay you for at the end of the month, eg. wages 16th Jan-15th Feb work will get paid on 28th Feb. Don't rely on getting 3 weeks worth of wages on that first pay date, what you get will vary depending on their system.
  • Options
    One thing I would add that is if you're going to be relying on money for that month then it's worth finding out when you'll first get paid and how long it will be for.

I've worked a few places that have had pay month cut offs mid way through the month that they pay you for at the end of the month, eg. wages 16th Jan-15th Feb work will get paid on 28th Feb. Don't rely on getting 3 weeks worth of wages on that first pay date, what you get will vary depending on their system.

Yeah, definitely. I waited six weeks to be paid when I started one new job... You really need to find out if you will be paid that first month.
  • Options
    well i can't wait 7 weeks to be paid. i would have to turn down the job.

mmm. might give them a ring.
  • Options
    I would ring them first to check, you might just be lucky and get a couple of weeks pay!
  • Options
    thats what im hoping :yes: i can't see them making us wait just over 7 weeks :no:
  • Options
    No I can't, I've started jobs mid month and got one or two weeks pay then got a full pay the following month. It's just annoying sometimes when you have to work a week in hand :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It all depends when their payroll runs. I had to wait 6 weeks because I started the week after they ran their payroll, so it was quite bad luck. If I'd started a week earlier, I would have had a weeks pay. Good plan to check :)
  • Options
    i emailed them today.

i'll get paid for the 3 weeks :) so good news.

just a bit worried about the tax bit now. gonna go in the day i start with a p46 though so *fingers crossed* it will be ok.