Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what can i cook with one arm?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
or neither...

I'm struggling to eat anything other than ready meals whilst i'm on crutches, because i can't stand and cook anything, infact i can barely balance without both hands firmly on the crutches, and my food has ended up on the floor more than once...

apart from salad, and ready meals, is there anything else?

and ready meals wise, is there anything thats healthy and cheap?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pasta
    I'm a bit worried about dropping the thing of boiling water over myself, my hands aren't very steady after a day of hauling myself around...

i suppose i could just give it a go...
    cook some of the things in the microwave? like soup..beans etc

also invite yourself round to friends a lot :p

do you know how long you will be on crutches? feel better soon x
    6 weeks +

may not be fully walking for three months...
    rachie004 wrote: »
    this has got me really intrigued now - what could you cook with NO arms?

I can cook a 3 course meal AND do all the cooking AND to top it all off i can pleasure my (imaginary) woman with just my ears. Awesome or what?
    OH i see, cooking with the use of one arm. I thought you meant one arm casserole or one arm and chips, one arm sandwich.......
    hahah! yeah, i'm such a skint student i've resulted in the canabalism of my flat mates!
    You can get pasta (and rice) in microwavable pouches.. Hardly cheap, but easier than the pan of boiling water riskiness!
    boiled egg
    could probably manage to grill fish/meat
    plain rice / pasta, provided you have a colander so you dont have to drain using the saucepan lid.

mixed frozen veg you can cook in the microwave, just be careful taking it out, dont cook using anything too heavy.

hmm avoiding chopping & opening tins is a bit tough! :)
    i'm gonna have a think and either get someone to drive me to the supermarket and push the trolley, or send someone with a detailed list, because i sent someone before and they brought back all the wrong things!
    i'm gonna have a think and either get someone to drive me to the supermarket and push the trolley, or send someone with a detailed list, because i sent someone before and they brought back all the wrong things!

Internet shop? Should be free delivery codes for Tesco and Asda on MSE..
    Tesco won't deliever to halls of residence- as its classed as a business address (we have a PO box postcode), i could get ASDA to do it, but they won't take it to my flat, they'll take it to halls reception, which is at the bottom of the hill, and then i have to find some one to help he bring it back up the hill...
    Tesco won't deliever to halls of residence- as its classed as a business address (we have a PO box postcode), i could get ASDA to do it, but they won't take it to my flat, they'll take it to halls reception, which is at the bottom of the hill, and then i have to find some one to help he bring it back up the hill...
    The delivery man will probably help you. When I was in halls last year they used to come and help me bring it down the stairs, I'm sure they'll help you given you're on crutches.
    i've found a friend who's gonna help me in return he gets alcohol! should be ok, so i'm thinking some "healthy" ready meals, ready chopped veg, salads, some meat that i can do in a tray in the oven...heathy snack things...and a couple of treats...

is doing scrambled egg in the microwave any good?
    Baked potatoes are pretty easy as you can just shove them in the oven and then hopefully sit at the table to do the stuffing of the. Similarly falafels which you can just put in the oven and pitta you can put in the toster and then sit down to stuff them with lots of salad and other goodies - you could also do similar with pre chopped chicken breast.

Also buy pre prepared veggies which you can microwave - sainsburys do these in the basics range so they are pretty cheap.
    ok, i'm going a bit anal here, but its unlikely i'm gonna find anyone to do this again for 2 weeks because everyones really busy. so my shopping list is this:

Potatoe wedges
    salads
    4 ready meals
    peppers
    mince
    chicken
    rice, cous cous and pasta in packets
    salsa
    tortillas
    a pizza

I'm planning on making the following meals (tell me if this is being over ambitious, these are just ideas, and i have some left overs in the freezer. I'm not planning to make them all, but if i have to i have these ideas)

scrambled eggs in the microwave on toast
    cheese on toast
    bean done in the microwave on toast
    pizza and salad
    chicken -with some kinda sauce- and rice/pasta/cous cous
    pasta. pesto and some chopped peppers
    stuffed peppers
    curry and rice
    sausage caserole and baked potatoe
    chicken fajitas
    baked potatoes with various fillings
    plus 4 ready meals

I'm hoping this lot with some sandwiches, and breakfasty things will feed me for the next 2 weeks...

sounds kinda boring compared to what i normally cook, but i can't really do anything else, i've got to eat...

any other suggestions?
    Chicken Fajitas might be a little over ambitious.

I'm thinking on the spot here but there should be more options. Pretty much anything oven baked should work, we had yummy stuffed chicken last night; sit at the table, slice in half stuff with cheese, chopped mushrooms, spinach, anything else that takes your fancy, wrap in bacon and bake in oven for an hour. Sprinkle chopped veg like aubergine or courgette or pepper onto the baking tray and then throw potatoes into a pan on the hob.

Oven chips are apparently yummy if you like that kind of thing, and actually reasonably healthy. Frozen breaded fish steaks are good too, and go in the oven.

Casserole, stew and hot pots can also be done in the oven, prepare it all sat at the table and whack it in the oven on high until it comes up to the boil and then turn the heat down.
    Rice,
    Buy a pizza and shove it in the oven and then all you have to do is get it out.