Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Obama to close Guantanamo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/obama_inauguration/7843864.stm

Just heard about this, I am personally over the moon, I seriously think this is a huge step toward repairing the bridges with much of the world's muslim communities...

opinions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i saw this on the front pages when i was in the shop today. Really made me smile!! Go Obama!!!!

opinions?

I thought he was going to take 2 years to close it - so doing it in 1 year is good. I'd like to see if any of them get compensation if proven innocent, some of those guys have been locked away for 6+ years without a trial.

The entire place flies in the face of American's own constitution and people's right to a fair and speedy trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#Speedy_trial
    Guantanamo is the tip of the iceberg. He's closing all CIA foreign torture (sorry, interrogation) centres and banning torture during interrogations.

Fucking good news.

Now we just need him to ditch the stupid missile shield project, recognise there is such thing as global warming, stop taking Israel's side blindly and stop bombing and interfering with countries that don't conform to the neconservative America rule book, and we'll have a President that has achieved more positive things than all his predecessors put together.
    Simply i can say, its good move!
    All well and good, President Obama. Just one question that he doesn't seem to have answered - where are all the people who've been there for the last few years going to go now?
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    All well and good, President Obama. Just one question that he doesn't seem to have answered - where are all the people who've been there for the last few years going to go now?

Home.
    Not necessarily - he's putting aside a year as a understand it, at most to deal with a realistic solution to those people who will not be accepted by their own countries - but most importantly he's shutting down the kangeroo courts and tourture in the meantime.
    go obama!

gaza next please
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/23/obama-rendition-torture

...and the rendition, and the torture, and the secret prisons.