Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do I have to do to get...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Sacked.. yes sacked from work, been off for over an month and a half and still no sign of being sacked.

Maybe I should phone them up!

"Hello there it's blah blah here tell you what go fuckity fuck fuck right now"
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why don't you just resign?

Why are you wanting to be sacked?
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Lucid,

Interesting question, and certainly I've not heard of anyone intentionally wanting to be sacked. As g-angel says, if you wish to stop working for your current employer, you simply need to write to them and tell them that you have resigned. If you have already been absent from work they'll more than likely reduce any notice period that you would otherwise be expected to work.

Being sacked is the last resort, and a responsible employer will go through several stages before they sack you. Firstly, there is a welfare issue - they need to make sure that you are OK because a company that took disciplinary action against an employer who had a serious mental health issue could be taken to tribunal for unfair dismissal. Not to mention that good employers will actually care about their staff.

Then, your employer needs to go through a number of disciplinary measures including usually issuing you with two warnings, and then issuing you with a written statement explaining why they wish to get rid of you and ask you to attend a meeting to discuss this. If they fail to do this then, again, they could be found guilty of unfair dismissal. If you failed to attend the meeting or respond to other correspondence then they can take action anyway.

Bear in mind that being sacked can have serious consequences for your future employment. It would be unlikely that your former employer would be willing to give you a reference (and if they did, it would be unlikely to be positive) and your new employer may well be wary of taking on someone who can?t provide a reference from their previous employer.

And a controversial scheme in the retail sector is allowing employers to pass information about their employees between each other, so you could be prevented from being employed by many companies

Your former employer could, if they wished, take civil action to reclaim some of the costs they incurred whilst employing you; especially if they provided you with equipment or uniform.

Rather than waiting for your employer to contact you, it might be a lot better to be proactive and contact them yourself.

Olly