Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Break Issue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all newbie on here,just got a query,im in a job 8-530 have 45 minutes dinner break other breaks.All staff have been told that if any of us are to be standing about doing nish,time will be DEDUCTED off lunch breaks,-is this aloud ??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes. Some employers pay you for lunch breaks, others won't do so.
    You're lucky i get half an hour and unpaid for a standard eight hour shift.

Isn't there a minimum break that employees have to give? After that its up to them what extra breaks you get? If this is so and they're giving you extra breaks out of the 'goodness' (yea right!) of their own hearts, then i suppose they have a right to deduct break time?

Just a thought.
    Last I knew the min break time you have to be given by law is 2 x 15 min breaks. So looks like you'll be loosing 15 mins of yours.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Leedash,

There's two different pieces of legislation that apply here. First, your rights to a break at work. The law states if you work six hours you are allowed aminimum of 20 mins break. Different rules apply if you are working overnight and in particular industries (such as transport).

The other piece of legislation is your right to pay. You are entitled to be paid if you present yourself for work, regardless of whether the company gives you work. So if you are standing around because you can't be bothered to do work, then you are probably breach of contract and a company could legally take action (eg deduct pay). But a company can not get you in to work; then make you hang around because they don't have any work for you to do without paying you.

Acas is the organisation that can advise you on your rights at work -
    http://www.acas.org.uk/ - and they have a helpline which is excellent at answering this sort of question: 08457 47 47 47

All the best,

Olly

Olly