Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Speed cameras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dont know if anyone knows anything about these but worth a try

I think I was flashed by an orange gatso camera, the metal boxy ones to the side of a metal post. was doing about 60 in a 40 coming in the direction approaching the lense.. at the same time another car was driving away from the lense at an unknown speed.

Am i right in thinking that the fixed gatso cameras only flash cars driving away from the lense or should I expect a ticket in the post?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're on the same side of the road as the camera then I am fairly sure that it is watching you, and you'll have been caught. If however, you are on the opposite side of the road to the camera you should be alright.
    Yeah i was on the opposite side of the road from the camera so fingers crossed im ok :D
    You should be then :)
    Depends on the type of camera. The ones with one boxy lens photograph the rear of the car. The ones with 2 round sticky out bits in the middle photograph the front.
    Some take photos of the car rear, others take pictures of the front. You won't know which it was until you get the N.I.P in the post, if at all.
    Also doing 60 in a 40 zone is pretty lame.
    ^ Agreed

To be honest, if you didn't get caught, you were lucky.

I suggest reducing your speed in future, as your stopping distance will not be anywhere near enough if someone stepped out into the road - that's presuming there are no faults on your car - i.e. your brakes work well and it isn't a wet day!
    Does a speed camera flash when you get caught?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    lipsy wrote: »
    Does a speed camera flash when you get caught?

I think it depends on the camera.

The average speed ones don't, not sure all the box ones do. Some do.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    GATSO cameras take a pic of the rear of your car and are the ones that produce a flash
    Truvelo cameras take a pic of the front of your car and don't flash.

Both of them are almost always situated on the near side (on your left hand side).

This suggests to me in this instance it was a Gatso camera on the otherside of the road. I think your safde.
    Weekender Offender 
    yeah i think i was the gatso so i'm hopefully ok. and i dont make a habit of going that fast, but it's a flyover from a dual carriageway and the limit drops quite rapidly from national speed limit to 40 with a camera immediately afterwards, there are no pedestrians to speak of & it didnt really feel too fast.. I dont go speeding around built-up areas just one of those things :-(.