Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Heathrow 3rd runway approved

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7829676.stm

Fucking cunts :mad:

If I could vote on a General Election, the Tories would get my vote just because of this issue.

Good luck to all those who have bought plots of land in the affected area in an effort to stop or at least severely delay the construction of the runway.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At last.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And the confirmation of massive spending in the UK rail network too that Labour were whinging on about the other week?

Oh wait, they must have left that bit out.
    wow whats that

the governement spending shitloads of money on london again

shock fucking horror
    :crying: when the hell will politicians start realising that we can't carry on with this ever increasing expantion of airports when we desperately need to be decreasing carbon emmisions, from big industries first as they are the biggest pollutors. grrr!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7830937.stm
    A Labour MP has been suspended from the House of Commons for five days after angry exchanges over the decision to approve a new Heathrow runway.

John McDonnell was sanctioned after he picked up the mace, the ornamental club which represents the royal authority of Parliament, in a breach of protocol.

The Hayes and Harlington MP said the decision not to hold a vote on the runway was a "national disgrace".

Anyone manhandling the mace is considered in contempt of Parliament.

Well done to him I say.
    To be fair Hayes & Harlington is pretty much adjoining Heathrow, its no surprise he's angry!
    phoenix24 wrote: »
    wow whats that

the governement spending shitloads of money on london again

shock fucking horror

Great isn't it. Fuck everyone else as long as the capital is OK.......
    but this is gonna fuck it up for us even more! more pollution! fucking ace hey?
    JsT wrote: »
    And the confirmation of massive spending in the UK rail network too that Labour were whinging on about the other week?

Oh wait, they must have left that bit out.
    More the reason not to proceed with the 3rd runway and sixth terminal. If we eliminate the superfluous domestic flights and significantly cut short haul ones, there is no need whatsoever for a third runway. And the way to do this is to improve and extend the rail network.

In any case it makes much more sense to build a brand new airport offshore. Heathrow is arguably the most hated international airport in the world- virtually nobody likes it. If the airline bosses are that concerned about the loss of investment and income for the nation (LOL!), they should be pressing for the construction of a modern airport with sufficient capacity, instead of endlessly increasing the size of the unloved monster.
    there's some underused runways outside of london to the west properly - upgrade it so freight can land there and they'll be sorted, but noooooo
    Heathrow is a mess, especially T5. I went for a wander through on Friday when I was down in London and the whole place was a mess. Only at Heathrow could the quickest way between T4 and T5 be getting a train to T123 and a train from there to T5 - taking about 30 minutes in total!
    While I dont mind flying, rather than faff on with the whole being there so many hours early, and checking in, and waiting, and blah blah blah.

I much prefer and quite infact enjoy trains. Infact Im tempted to look up all the places near where Im going to be based that may run steam trains, and perhaps even have a look in at the railway museam in York sometime too.

*MrG :heart:'s trains*
    go to the london transport museum too!

On my list.
    Its the residents of Sipson who I feel sorry for - everything they know is just going to become concrete runway - its disgraceful.
    there are up sides, like all the jobs??
    All the jobs for the people who are going to have to move, the graves that have to be moved where people have rested for generations, ahh the blood boils, i dare not go on.
    I've often people complaining that I'm overly cynical towards politicians, that I don't give them enough credit for the things that they do. I always reply in the same way - I criticise politicians harshly because they bring it on all themselves. These same people who wonder why nobody votes at elections anymore are the very same people who have destroyed what little trust the UK's people have ever held in the political system. Parliament only reconvened on Monday, after a 24-day Christmas break. Most people would be lucky to have 24 holidays per year, yet these lazy bastards have got another week's holiday to look forward to come half term. Just as well, as my blood's already boiling and it's only Thursday.

First of all this week, we had Gordon Brown's much-vaunted "job summit". More like "Save My Job summit", if you ask me. Macavity is apparently going give £2,500 bungs to employers who take on staff in the middle of a recession. And what are these staff going to do exactly? Hasn't it crossed Gorgon's mind that the reason companies are making people unemployed is because there's less work to do? What are they gonna do, employ people to sit on their arses all day? Not to worry, the idea has since been utterly rubbished by numerous people in business. It's a ridiculously expensive and stupid proposal funded by money the Government doesn't have and it won't work anyway - very New Labour, I'd say.

On Tuesday, Andrew Gilligan wrote an article for the London Evening Standard asking how Lord Mandelsnake was able to buy his £2.5million house in a prime location in Central London. Given that this man has already lied on a mortgage application form - a crime that most of us would have been jailed for - I'm appalled that the mainstream media aren't putting this on the front page day after day. Mandy still hasn't answered any questions about this, of course - he's been far too busy at Gordon's summit, of course.

On Wednesday, the Government confirmed that it was nicking one of the Tories solutions to the credit crunch by insuring bank-to-business lending. Funnily enough, Guido Fawkes revealed earlier in the week how Tony McNulty, one of the government's very own ministers, poured a load of dog shit over this idea back in November. Gordon the Magpie shamelessly tells lies about how the Tories would cut public spending and "do nothing" to help "hard-working families" about our problems "which began in America" (I wonder if he'll be saying that line to President Obama next week?) whilst stealing every policy idea the Tories come up with. And they wonder why we don't take them seriously?

Today, what have we got? The Government are ignoring all objections to the new Heathrow runway, (despite the fact we don't fucking need it) the gut-wrenchingly awful Harriet Harman has announced MPs will continue to cover up their expenses, and I haven't even started on her utterly retarded plans to make public services legally bound to narrow the gap between rich and poor. Fucking bastards, the lot of them. As for John McDonnell's alleged "protest" at this matter, where the fuck has he been for the last 12 years? Labour has steamrolled over God-knows how many different groups over that time and he hasn't said a word in protest. Yet when it's in his back yard, things are somehow different. I don't believe a word.

EDIT: I've remembered more crap that's happened. A Labour MP has claimed that dyslexia doesn't exist..
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Good luck to all those who have bought plots of land in the affected area in an effort to stop or at least severely delay the construction of the runway.
    I'm afraid that the bastards have been thinking about this too, Aladdin. In 2008, new planning laws were introduced which allow planning bodies to "disregard" what they term "frivolous" objections to developments. I'm afraid that Alistair McGowan should get back to doing some impressions, as his buying a piece of land like that will almost certainly be considered a "frivolous objection". In other words, it will be ignored.

Please, please, let's have the general election already, let's kick these bastards out of office for another 18 years.
    A few points...

BAA are financing this themselves, the government is not paying for any of it.

Anybody going on about CO2 emissions...CO2 emissions will increase regardless. Air travel WILL increase, it's just that operators will base themselves from Amsterdam or Paris instead, damaging London's economy.

Dont, its shit. There isnt even a bar
    Thought for the day: If I was aware of a bunch of land that was badly needed for a massive development, and I had the funds, I might be inclined to jump in first, buy the land while it was of little value (as it was about to be tarmacked over) and then make a nice little packet when the developers came a-knocking.

'But, they are refusing to sell the land!' says you. Well, that's as may be, but the truth of the matter is, when a project like this gets the green light from . . . . . the gobment and local councils, then what follows for those who are retiscent to sell is a compulsory purchase order, at market rates, which, in actual fact are rates set as if the land or property had NOT been devalued by talk of development.

So, what I'm thinking is that these hearty, fine, upstanding protestors are well aware of this fact, and are spinning this thing like a top whilst quietly rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of making a fast buck. They are learning from the experts in making a fast, quiet buck while pretending to give a sh!te - the gobment.

Comments please on an email a cynical friend sent.
    MrG wrote: »
    Comments please on an email a cynical friend sent.
    Your friend tells the truth. These "celebrities" couldn't give a shit about the environment. Notice how many of them have their star on the wane? Alistair McGowan, for instance - he hasn't done a show for the Beeb for a couple of years now. I wonder why...
    Tell the devil to turn the heating up, hell hath frozen over................................

SG, i agree with you.
    Forgot to mention. Aside from possibly making a nice little buck out of it, it also increases the profile of these celebs. Still, on the plus side, at least they're campaigning about a noble cause. I cringed when I saw people like Annie Lennox attending anti-Israel demonstrations earlier this month. Why is it whenever you see the likes of George Galloway and Clare Short, I automatically feel inclined to take the opposite point of view? Anyway...
    MrG wrote: »
    Tell the devil to turn the heating up, hell hath frozen over... SG, i agree with you.
    I suspect it won't last. ;)
    Having a 3rd runway ALONE would actually reduce pollution since at present Heathrow operates at 99% capacity and often planes have to spend 30 minutes to an hour in the air going around in circles because there's a queue to land.

An extra runway ALONE would mean planes land sooner and thus burn less fuel.

Heathrow needs another runway to operate properly at today's levels of flights - whether the overall number of flights should be increased is another matter. For pure safety improvement Heathrow needs another runway to operate on todays levels.

Air travel is on the increase and a third of the passengers at Heathrow are just there in transit and will never leave the airport as they switch planes. If Heathrow doesn't expand it simply means other airports in Europe will take away the business.

If you want to reduce air pollution from planes then why don't people start lobbying the two companies that make the planes in the first place.. AirBus and Boeing and get them to make more fuel efficent planes or ones that use alternative fuels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7817849.stm
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In any case it makes much more sense to build a brand new airport offshore. Heathrow is arguably the most hated international airport in the world- virtually nobody likes it.

I actually think rather then a 3rd runway I'd prefer to see a new airport built as well to ease the burden on Heathrow BUT I don't think building it by the sea is such a great idea UNLESS there was some very high speed rail link built and was affordable to use.

In Madrid it costs just 2 euros to go to the Airport by underground train into the city centre. To get to Gatwick for example is about £10 each way for me.

Building an airport by the sea might be a good idea if the focus was on transit passengers swapping planes. But otherwise I think there's lots of empty space around Chipperfield

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chipperfield&sll=51.677452,-0.52494&sspn=0.155622,0.439453&ie=UTF8&ll=51.69831,-0.471382&spn=0.150444,0.439453&z=12

And it's close to the M25 and further north of Heathrow.

There's also loads of empty space to the east of Luton Airport so I can't see why Luton Airport hasn't been expanded already to take more flights and bigger planes.
    DG wrote: »
    Air travel is on the increase and a third of the passengers at Heathrow are just there in transit and will never leave the airport as they switch planes. If Heathrow doesn't expand it simply means other airports in Europe will take away the business.

So? If they are just switching planes they aren't leaving the airport hence are barely contributing to the economy, they won't pay duty on any purchases either which reduce the amount they pay into our economy even more.

I still believe that if BA hadn't gone with this London centric flight model and stuck to how it was Heathrow wouldn't be in demand so much. The Government should be looking at encourage domestic travel by other means (that means removing the £6bn they gave the roads this week and putting it into rail instead).
    A lot of the transfers are from within the UK, and they could be easily eliminated by building a high speed rail link direct from Heathrow to the likes of Manchester and Glasgow to the North (stopping at St. Pancras for Eurostar connections), and Bristol, the South West and Cardiff to the West.

The whole 'billions will be lost' is nothing but scaremongering rubbish from BAA and the airlines. I put it to all of them that billions are already lost by passengers' profound dislike of Heathrow- I know several who will avoid it like the plague if they can help it.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jan/15/heathrow-third-runway-labour

Labour is dead.

***EDIT: I'll be voting Green anyway, but I'd vote Tory before I voted for this government. The fuckers have driven me to this***
    JsT wrote: »
    So? If they are just switching planes they aren't leaving the airport hence are barely contributing to the economy, they won't pay duty on any purchases either which reduce the amount they pay into our economy even more.

You talk big but like the maths teacher says .. show us your working ..

.. if you take away the passengers on the plane that are only changing planes in Heathrow then it means the planes are flying with less people on the plane so airfares would have to go up for everyone to cover fixed costs

If the cost of tickets to the UK goes up 33.3% (to cover the people no longer flying to Heathrow just to change planes) then less people would come here on holiday.

Plus so what if they aren't paying duty, tax is the minority of the transaction ... if you spend £5 at the McDonalds at the airport whilst waiting for your flight it's still £5 going to help pay people's wages and there is such a thing as corporation tax .. plus the income tax from people's wages who are employed by working at the airport ..

And yes there is such a thing as landing fee's, taxes, etc and other such things worked into everyone's ticketing price regardless if they plan to step foot out of the airport or not.

If you're going to quote me and talk big, backup your statements with some numbers ..
    I am more for runway 3 than against it.

Lots of detail there, huh? Been a long week. :)