Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

some advice please....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i got sacked yesterday.
I am gutted. I had absolutly no idea I would get the chop, as although I knew business was bad, I considered my job to be one of the more essential ones, and I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades there. I've also been there longer than a lot of the others.

But as much as I want to tell the boss to stick it up his arse and storm off, I suppose I should work the months notice to get some much needed money, as I've had a look for available jobs, and to put it bluntly, there's jack shit.

Where do I stand on this? Do I have to work the month? Is it unfair dismissal? If I go now will I get no extra pay? Am I entitled to anything?

I'm at a loose-end really, and I'm not thinking straight.
Today was horrible at work, I didn't speak unless I had to, and the people who knew ignored me, while I thought over and over about how to tell the people who don't know.

Anyway, this is turning into a ramble....

Can anyone help on the legal/financial side of things, and I might start a new thread somewhere about what the hell to do now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    What reasons did they give for 'sacking' you?

Have you actually been sacked, or have you been let go as your position is now unnecessary (even though you considered yourself essential)?

More detail needed. When I have fired somebody, I have asked them to leave that day, and paid them until the end of their time.
  • Options
    the job is a artworker/graphic designer/website designer sort of job.

reason is cos they want to make cutbacks, and although it's an essential part of the business, they would probably hire people per contract rather than have a full time one like me. I got all the spiel about how I may be able to do odd jobs for them, or if business picks up then he would rehire me straight away. He said they arn't looking to replace me.

I'm just pissed off cos it looks like i'm gonna have to move back to my parents, (after 5 1/2 years) when my house contract runs out in 10 weeks.

I don't want to get another job in this city, this job was just about the only thing keeping me here.

I imagine they want me to leave now, especially as my standard of work will plumet this next few weeks. Do you think they can/would? Would I get paid?
  • Options
    I would suggest that you have a look at your contract first to see how things sit with you being sacked. Sometimes you can be sacked on the spot and asked to leave. Your company have asked you to work till the end of your time which as you say helps a bit financially. I have to admit this is a really bad time for everyone....it has only just really started this year with companies folding up...except the food retailers! So there is a job in that sector that you could do. Have you looked for jobs via the job centre, local paper, internet here you could register with agencies so that they could find you the right job. I know that doing something that you are not used to doing is always a daunting thought but if it means keeping the roof over your head and paying those essential bills then I would do anything within reason of my capabilities. You have any other skills? Where do you want to work then if you say the job that you have is the only one keeping you there. If I could change the world situation with a magic wand then I would.