Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

One immature prat, one missing child and one disgraced shadow minister

Some Tory dimwit called Matthew Lewis used his Facebook page to claim that he was going to attend a "bad taste" fancy dress party dressed as Madeleine McCann. The Tory Bear blog picked up on this and ran a blog entry about it. Inevitably, it was picked up by the mainstream media - expect this to be all over the tabloid press tomorrow morning. It's already on the Beeb, take a look.

I don't think much of this individual claiming he'd go to a party dressed as a missing child. Many comedians have got into trouble for jokes about this subject before. (Channel 4's Bremner, Bird & Fortune got into trouble in 2007 for claiming in a sketch that Macavity would discover the missing toddler on the eve of a general election to help win himself some votes. See the offending skit here) It simply proves that this Matthew Lewis is an utter prat.

Yet I don't think he need worry too much. Who have the Tories wheeled out in order to condemn him? Caroline Spelman claimed that his behaviour was "totally unacceptable" and that "there is no place for this sort of person in the party.". Funny that there's no room for an immature prat like Lewis, yet there's plenty of room for a woman who fiddles her expenses in order to get her childcare paid for by taxpayers, isn't it?

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Some Tory dimwit called Matthew Lewis used his Facebook page to claim that he was going to attend a "bad taste" fancy dress party dressed as Madeleine McCann. The Tory Bear blog picked up on this and ran a blog entry about it. Inevitably, it was picked up by the media - expect this to be all over the tabloid press tomorrow morning. It's already on the Beeb, take a look.

I don't think much of this individual claiming he'd go to a party dressed as a missing child. Many comedians have got into trouble for jokes about this subject before. (Channel 4's Bremner, Bird & Fortune got into trouble in 2007for claiming in a sketch that Macavity would discover the missing toddler on the eve of a general election to help win himself some votes. See the offending skit here) It simply proves that this Matthew Lewis is an utter prat.

Yet I don't think he need worry too much. Who have the Tories wheeled out in order to condemn him? Caroline Spelman claimed that his behaviour was "totally unacceptable" and that "there is no place for this sort of person in the party.". Funny that there's no room for an immature prat like Lewis, yet there's plenty of room for a woman who fiddles her expenses in order to get her childcare paid for by taxpayers, isn't it?

Over to you...

If only the McCans had fiddled some taxpayer loophole and employed a babysitter!

Jokes aside, wrong was done, and regardless of what that woman did, theres worse things she could have spent fiddled tax payers money on. :)
    Am I the only one who fails to be outraged by this? Yes, it was tasteless. So what? There are far worse 'offences' out there.

Nor that I care on account of being an occasional user of the stuff myself, but you would think it'd be far more serious to have a leader of the Tory party who is widely believed to be a former cokehead (and who remains unrepented about it) than a low rank activist who likes a bit of sick humour here and there.

It's all part of this faux moral outrage political climate we live in nowdays.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Am I the only one who fails to be outraged by this?

:no:
    who cares if this idiot goes dressed as a missing child? How is it the concern of any politician? He's an asshole, fine, let him be one. This is all nonsense.
    Stargalaxy, I don't know if it's just me but your posts can be quite alienating when you use nicknames that are unfamiliar.

Other than my recently deceased pet cat, who is Macavity? I presume it's Gordon Brown but unless I've been reading the wrong papers it's not a common nickname.
    Some Tory dimwit called Matthew Lewis

He was in my politics class as college. Ironic considering I always found his antics pretty tame. :D
    Was Matthew Lewis going to a party arranged by the Conservative Party? If not, why was it mentioned that he was a Tory?

I am sure there are plenty of burglars, murderers, paedophiles etc who may vote Labour/Lib Dem but that is never mentioned in the articles. This is just a completely pointless bit of 'news making'.

This guy is just a student and showing all the stupidity of the silly side of youthful exuberance.

It's a non-story.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Was Matthew Lewis going to a party arranged by the Conservative Party? If not, why was it mentioned that he was a Tory?
    Sort of - Conservative Future is essentially the youth wing of the Tory Party.
    Yeah, I understand that but was it a Conservative Party affiliation arranged bash? (Hmmmm .... my English fails me sometimes)