Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Annual Review

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have my annual review coming up at work.

I've been working there over a year now, but recently we employed a new person, who I know is being paid more than me. However, I believe I am just as valuable to the company, and in fact have more experience with the technology than the new employee does.

Is bringing up, "I think I am just as useful to you as x and would like to be paid the same" the best way to approach this?

It's a small company, and I get along with everyone, so I don't really want to rub them up the wrong way :lol:

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    How certain are you that they are paid more than you?

I did have an experience of this once where someone went and said that in a review, and turns out the supposedly higher paid person was just bullshitting.

Plus are you both employed in the same position and job description etc?
  • Options
    Rather than mentioning the other person why don't you just ask for a payrise? Tell them what you feel you deserve to be paid for your role and go from there.
  • Options
    Yeah I wouldn't bother mentioning the other person. It could get unnecessarily bitchy.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    How certain are you that they are paid more than you?
    ... Plus are you both employed in the same position and job description etc?

Yeah same position, same job description, certain they're being paid more & they're a similar age to me too.

Thanks for the input guys, was what I was looking for.
  • Options
    When i say certain, have you actually seen one of his/hers payslips?

Id just go down the route of asking for a rise and justify why you think you deserve it.
  • Options
    That's true, I havn't seen the payslip, but I know what they were offered in the interview, which is more than my wage.

Still, I think you're right, will have to see how it goes :chin:
  • Options
    exyzed wrote: »
    That's true, I havn't seen the payslip, but I know what they were offered in the interview, which is more than my wage.

Still, I think you're right, will have to see how it goes :chin:

Regardless of what you have heard, do not go in there saying that you know this person is being paid more than you. As if they are not, they probly wont give you a payrise if you deserve one!
  • Options
    Annual reviews are about your personal performance and remuneration package. Bringing other people into it is unprofessional, especially if you don't know specifics.

Go with MrG's suggestions.