Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Holiday weight loss

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm trying to stay as fit as possible during this holiday season, but it's not going to be easy! I have so many tempting unhealthy options in my house for my family, and it's so hard to stay away! Any tips on how to stay on track for these next few weeks that revolve around food and drinking?

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey there,
    I think it's really easy to over-indulge over the festive season whether you're watching the calories or not.

The fsa has some tips for healthy christmas eating that you might find useful.

I also like these tips:
    1. Use a smaller plate ~ your mind will consider it a full plate regardless of its size!

2. Where there are choices, take a little of many things rather than lots of one thing. This ensures you are getting a balanced meal and not overloading on a fatty food.

3. For every glass of alcohol or soft drink, have a glass of water. Water fills you up, has no calories or side effects, is cheap and will help wash out the excesses.

4. Help clear the table as soon as everyone finished eating rather than sitting and picking at leftovers.

5. Make your own mixed drinks with real fruit juice instead of canned drink.

6. Don?t be afraid to take things home for later ? especially fruit cake as it will keep for ages!

7. Only put out some of the available food so people don?t over serve themselves. More can always come out as required.

Hope these are useful. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been on Weight Watchers since July and this is my 'first' christmas of my new lifestyle... I've been pointing what I eat, not over indulging and not restricting myself too much. I have a pack of after eights, box of maltesers and a terry's choc orange - but it's about moderation isn't it. I shan't down the lot in a few days, but weeks.

Self control and determination are key.
    I wouldnt say it was easy to cut your weight down over xmas, but it isnt too hard to keep a good eye on it and not let it balloon.

I managed somehow to have a pretty much meat free xmas day, dunno how, but was certainly filled up.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I think it's really easy to over-indulge over the festive season whether you're watching the calories or not.

The fsa has some tips for healthy christmas eating that you might find useful.

I also like these tips:

Hope these are useful. :)

They really were, thanks so much! Happy Holidays
    A good tip that I heard about on a fitness and diet reality show is allowing yourself one thing. Pick one day out of this holiday time and pick your favorite treat (something you would never allow yourself to have while dieting). Then on that day allow a portion of that treat, but go back to your diet routine right after. It worked for me because I felt like I was able to enjoy at least one thing during this Christmas cookie-filled time! I didn't feel like I was totally missing out...give it a try!
    that is a good tip - I always find great stuff on those fitness reality shows! In fact, I'm looking forward to a new one starting tonight on Lifetime. It's called DietTribe and they got me with Jessie Pavelka!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv3OqEhpQls
    Has anyone heard about this show? and doesn't Discovery Health have a new one coming out too..?
    yea I heard about it - I watched it except for the last 10 min. I thought it was pretty good - touching, you know. Got me interested to see how they do though, so I'll be tuning in next week. What'd the rest of you think? Anyone else watch?