Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Electricity cost per hour?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was looking at some heaters for my gran and came across this one.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/heaters/dimplex-3kw-cadiz-eco-oil-free-radiator.asp

But there is no info on how much it costs to run. Would anyone be able to hazard an informed guess as to what it might cost to run? I'm not very good at this 'kw' business. :blush:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    multiply the KWh by the unit price (per KWh) of electricity (should be on your bill) should give you a rough idea.

I used to work for an energy company doing these fucking calculations but I cant for the life of me remember. Just dont ask about gas though thats a lot harder.

So if your electricty is about 30p Kwh then times it by 3.
    heater uses 3kW, not quite sure how electricity is billed, but can be measured in kW/hr, (using 1kW for 1hr is 1kW/hr)

having had a quick google, think price per kW/hr is somewhere between 10p - 20p , which means the heater will cost approx 45p / hr

BUT, it depends on your supplier, think they may have usage bands, so the first x amount of electricity you use costs y etc, and then you have cheaper electricity at certain times of the day...

not having ever paid an electricity bill myself I'm afraid my estimate may be very vague :)
    Yeah the differential pricing will make it difficult to work it out exactly.

Ring the energy company and get them to work it out, unless its British Gas then dont bother. :thumb:
    get a pay meter in and get her modified ;)
    Thanks guys!
    exyzed wrote: »
    having had a quick google, think price per kW/hr is somewhere between 10p - 20p , which means the heater will cost approx 45p / hr

I phoned Southern Electric and they said it'd be around 40p per hour - so you were close! :thumb:
    Keep in mind that that might sound cheap, but if she ran it for 8 hours a day for a month that would cost her 72 quid. (45p)

Electrical heating is generally expensive.
    Yea, my housemates at uni have forbidden me to turn mine on, despite them having PC servers on 24/7 (we worked out, its roughly £7.50 a month per PC). Is there no way she could use gas heating? Or radiators? It does generally work out much much cheaper.
    Yeah, electric does sound pricey. Perhaps I will suggest that she uses the radiators more. Thanks guys. :)
    If she lives in council accomodation, then they have to have central heating, double glazing, cavity wall/loft insulation installed by the end of this year.

If she owns the house, then she can get a grant, maybe 100%, towards the cost of central heating.