Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Britain and Beyond - the results

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Here's the top line results from our summer survey on Europe. :)

Here's a snippet
Almost half of you (46%) thought that racial tension in the UK was getting worse and 33% of you believed lack of knowledge and understanding of other cultures caused racial tension.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good work! (just out of interest are their any details on the geographical/sociological distribution of the survey population?)
  • Options
    Good work! (just out of interest are their any details on the geographical/sociological distribution of the survey population?)

I have some very general data on geographical location - 85% England, 7% Scotland, 5% Wales and 3% Northern Ireland. We need a wider UK reach for sure - I know if we ever get regional offices I'll be the first to volunteer myself. :)
  • Options
    Almost half of you (46%) thought that racial tension in the UK was getting worse and 33% of you believed lack of knowledge and understanding of other cultures caused racial tension.
    I wonder who or what could possibly be to blame for that...

2007-04-21-785982.gifDailyMailFrontPage.jpg

hijackaplane.gif
  • Options
    I used that last article in a presentation I did on the Human Rights Act.
  • Options
    We also carried out a userpanel (online focus group) on the same topics and there is a full report for those of you who are interested in seeing some of the more qualitative data.

Here's the PDF - http://www.youthnet.org/content/1/c6/04/99/24/YNET_Britain_Beyond.pdf
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    DailyMailFrontPage.jpg

Oh come on, that's gotta be a parody.
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't doubt the story. It's just those photos. They looked too good to be true.
  • Options
    Oh, I see. Not entirely convinced that the image of the British family isn't a stock photo tbh.
  • Options
    Survey says that people think multi-culturalism makes the UK a better place yet we should tighten immigration laws in this country. Am I the only one who sees the paradox in this?

Next week, TheSite.org reveals the results of an innovative survey into what people think bears do in the woods.
    Scott. wrote: »
    Oh, I see. Not entirely convinced that the image of the British family isn't a stock photo tbh.
    Of course they're stock photos. Newspapers normally use them if they have tight print deadlines or clearance issues with obtaining permission to use other images. (some pictures that newspapers publish are actually copyrighted nowadays, believe it or not) For example, whenever you see a story saying "Brits are most miserable nation in Europe" or something like that, you'll most likely find a picture of Victor Meldrew accompanying it - Richard Wilson, the man who plays this character, commented on this himself and finds it quite amusing.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Survey says that people think multi-culturalism makes the UK a better place yet we should tighten immigration laws in this country. Am I the only one who sees the paradox in this?
    I must say I don't see one. The two issues are not related. One refers to the merits or lack thereof of accepting different cultures to coexist, and the other addresses controlling the number of immigrants coming to the country.
  • Options
    Yep. Immigration is (or should be) just a question of logistics. Multi-culturalism is very little to do with that.
  • Options
    Scott. wrote: »
    It's about as subtle as those loan adverts.