Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

witness questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay, so after a few months ive been called to go to court as a witness in a murder trial.
the only thing is i now no longer live in the area where the case is going to court, i live 120 miles away.

it isnt until March but if i have to go what can i do about travel expenses and accomadation? i live in my house and i think its being held in not my house :P

also, i cant really remember alot about the incident as i have a really bad memory [i cant even remember what i did last week!]

what sort of questions are going to be asked and what can i expect as ive never been to court before?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firstly, contact the clerk of the court you'll be attending. They will be able to help out with travel arrangements if you can't afford it. Either by bussing you there every day or putting you up in a room nearby for a couple of nights.

Secondly, I'm guessing the incident happened some time ago. Speak to the prosecution (ie the CPS) and you should be allowed to go over your original statement to remind yourself of what happened that night.

Thirdly. What sort of questions you'll be asked will depend entirely on the case and how pivotal your evidence is. Simply tell them everything you know, if you don't know don't guess and don't try and fill in any blanks. It is your job to simply recount what you saw. I expect the questions will focus on things like identification (how did you know it was the defendant), what sort of view you had, how far away you were, were you intoxicated e.t.c.

Stick to the truth and stick to your statement and you'll be fine.
    Thanks, i wasnt sure if id have chance to review my statement beforehand.

-- oo-er --

also, am i in danger of prosecution as i was the one that sold him the drinks before he drunk-drove home?
    Just wondering, are you allowed to discuss the case now? I.e. are you breaking the rules by posting this?
    ooo i duno.

im not giving away any details so i suppose im okay?
    Edit your first post to remove where you live now, and where the case is going to court.

I'd say asking questions is fine, so long as it's absolutely not-identifiable.
    *Ri* wrote: »
    also, am i in danger of prosecution as i was the one that sold him the drinks before he drunk-drove home?

No.

He was the one that drank, he was the one that drove. Unless you actively assisted him in getting in the car e.t.c. don't worry about it.

BTW, edit your details and be careful about what you post.
    *Ri* wrote: »
    i live in my house and i think its being held in not my house :P
    :lol:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Has nobody been in touch with you? When did it happen? You sure it is murder, and not death by dangerous driving?

It probably doesn't make that much difference, but you are better off knowing exactly what the charge is before you go in, as it might show you as an 'unreliable' witness, which wont help.

Like the others have said, just make sure you tell the truth, and say whatever you can remember, but yeah i should think you will have sight of your statement before hand.