Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Patient! Will you rate your transaction...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7804125.stm

In my view? Outrageously stupid idea - there is already a robust complaints system in place, and one that actually takes the time to check the veracity of the claims made - plus an unprecedented number of Lay members in medical panels, clinical governance and Royal College training committees (and so forth).

I do not feel comfortable taking the view of lay members of the public ahead of the medical profession - bad things will happen, GPs will make mistakes and bad service will be given but the response will be shrill and the comments hysterical.

I will not be basing my decisions on this bullshit.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ergh.

Won't it just boil down to all those people, who think that they know best about all aspects of their healthcare, criticising their doctor for not giving them medication A or treatment B, or perhaps a sick note. In those circumstances and many others, the doctor will be following correct procedures and yet will receive negative feedback from certain members of the public on this website. How can it paint an accurate picture? I don't think it can.
    I don't think it can paint an accurate picture, but I don't think as it stands it's right. Doctors cover up for each other, even in cases of malpractice and negligence. I'm not just pulling it out my ass either, several members of my family have died / been putter under undue suffering due to doctors making really bad decisions.

But talk to a doctor about this, and there is an air of arrogance like you say - people don't know what they're talking about, only us doctors do. But it doesn't take a rocket science to see if someone is doing a good job or a bad job in any workplace. Putting in the extra hours, good customer feedback vs. shoddy work and rushed patients to get more cases under their belt so they look better in the reports.

Thus far of the doctors above, only one was struck of the medical register after messing up on another patient later on (although a seperate private doctor in the US had said he had fucked up).

I don't know whether it's because of the NHS and all these targets but I don't believe doctors are currently given the right incentives of just providing a good service. They are measured on how many cases they get done, how many diagnoses, etc.
    Perhaps we should extend this idea? Let's allow ourselves to... ooh, I don't know, rate what we think of New Labour ministers through a website? Maybe people can leave comments stating what they really think Ed Cunt, sorry I mean, Balls? No, didn't think they'd be up for accountability when they're the ones under the microscope.

Expect this gimmick to be dropped like a lead balloon come the New Year.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I don't know, rate what we think of New Labour ministers through a website?

Sounds like this place......
    Won't it just boil down to all those people, who think that they know best about all aspects of their healthcare, criticising their doctor for not giving them medication A or treatment B, or perhaps a sick note.

If those people actually knew best about their healthcare, they would not need a doctor.