Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Clarification Required

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can someone point me in the right direction regarding consumer law and dealing with faulty products *specifically* stuff that mentions or is aimed at video games and mobile phones.

I need to clarify some points because I think that I'm being led down the garden path and being fed a load of nonsense.

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you.

I've used Consumer Direct before but never quite found what I was looking for though in saying that I have this time, at least regarding the mobile phone question.

What I would like to ask advice for is this. My mobile phone was bought on 16th November this year. It's faulty, two issues actually but the main one being an issue that many many many people have suffered from and still are and is something that Sony Ericsson know about but have had no luck in fixing to date.

Carphonewarehouse are telling me that despite it only being within this small timeframe I have to get it sent in for repair. I disagree with this though.

As it is a fault that SE know about and one they cannot seem to fix PLUS it only being such a short time since purchase I want it exchanged. Nothing more nothing less.

So I am trying to find out if the consumer law suggests anything to say I am entitled to get it exchanged rather than repair. It's under two months old !

The other question regarding the video game. I still have not been able to find anything relating to my question so I'll just ask about it. I have a game that was bought 8 months ago. It was played for two months then it was left untouched on the dvd rack for 6 months.

When I tried to play it a few days ago though I discovered there were scratches which are causing the problem. Took it upto the shop today where I purchased it with the receipt and explained the situation and was told I would have to PAY to have the disc cleaned as the law on software only covered you for stuff like this for the first 3 months.

That cannot be right surely? I didn't cause the scratches the console has done that and although that is not the fault of the store they are the agent I purchased the game from. I am now left with an unplayable game and the only option is to have to pay yet more money to fix a problem I did not cause !

So anyway those are the real questions I am seeking advice for.
    As for the game, however the scratches happened, it wasn't the fault of the manufacturer, it was the fault of your machine. The shop aren't legally required to do anything.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    As for the game, however the scratches happened, it wasn't the fault of the manufacturer, it was the fault of your machine. The shop aren't legally required to do anything.

:yes:

If you knew the phone has a well-known fault, why would you get it in the first place?:confused:
    xsazx wrote: »
    phone: You aren't entitled to an exchange to put it simply, the only legal responsibility to seller has is to repair it/have it sent off for repair ... if they're generous and want to keep their customers happy then many will replace/exchange the handset if the problem persists after 3 attempted repairs... but legally they don't have to.

Bollocks. Not happy to hear that at all. Think that is a joke actually, but oh well what can I do about it.
    Whowhere wrote: »

See the thing is the game sat on a shelf for 6 months never being played in that time. It worked and was fine when it was left there but again like the phone what can I do about it I just have to accept it.
    Melian wrote: »
    :yes:

If you knew the phone has a well-known fault, why would you get it in the first place?:confused:

I only knew about the alarm clock problem and I was ok with that as although I use the alarm clock it isn't a major issue. The major problem I only found out a couple of days before I made this thread.

I had no idea the phone suffers from such a major issue like this or else I really would not have bought it.

I'm just miffed because from what I read online it doesn't matter if they send it for repair it will not actually fix the problem. I will go back upto the shop that does the repairs though and speak to them see how long it takes etc.

If it is going to take too long I'll just buy another phone and give this one to my father he likes playing around with tech stuff.

Can I also just say, surely if this is a known issue with the SE phone then it makes the phone not fit for the purpose as the phone dies, Sony know about it and cannot fix it yet they still sell the phones !? You know there must be a way around it somehow the phones are not fit for the purpose !

Thanks for all the replies by the way :)