Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

If I was a boy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is this the most sexist song ever?

I've never really liked Beyonce, I've tolerated her on account of her incredibly decent voice (even though this is one of the few where she shows it off), but I think I now hate her.

'If I was a Boy' has been out for a while now and I've heard nobody mention anything about it's depictions of men.

I propose to rewrite the lyrics, to say "If I was a girl I'd be a sexist feministic sow"

See if people are willing to ignore that!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeeaahh..thing about that is...it's only a song, no-one cares..
    Plenty of people have mentioned it. Personally, I don't choose to go to Beyonce for my insightful social commentary, so I'm not bothered.
    icey wrote: »
    yeeaahh..thing about that is...it's only a song, no-one cares..

It may only be a song but it's the tip of the proverbial iceberg. I heard of a telly programme which taught women how to train men in the same way as dogs. Many women campaign aginst the portrayal of women in the media being used as sexual objects, yet they don't mind if men are done the same way. A steroetype has been subtley formed of the mentally inferior man who needs a woman to sort him out (I remember an advert where a man is trying everything to turn on a toaster and the woman comes along and flicks the on/off switch.)

These are minor things, yes, and while I don't think one song can change the world, it has infuriated me a little that feminists, having now gotten legal equality, now seem to think they are superior to us. I quote the one line from this song that confirms this: 'But you're just a boy'.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    If you were a boy

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R2G6f_mvb7U

Equally as shit.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    If you were a boy

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R2G6f_mvb7U

Equally as shit.
    :lol: Those lyrics are shocking haha
    While I don't think one song can change the world, it has infuriated me a little that feminists, having now gotten legal equality, now seem to think they are superior to us. I quote the one line from this song that confirms this: 'But you're just a boy'.
    Try and not get too wound up, there are plenty of songs depicting the exact opposite of this, full of sexist and chauvinistic comments. It's how a lot of artists try and gain popularity (by gaining sympathisers)
    Beyonce's voice isn't that amazing at the best of times.

However, on this song her voice is just awful. She sounds like she's constipated most of the time.

The lyrics are terrible, and the video contradicts them. The video itself is trying to be a sophisticated short film about modern relationships but it's really, really bad.

I think this is her worst song ever.
    :wave: i LOVE this song i agree ain't her best her best i personally think is LISTEN shiver down my spine
    I've ever not listened this.! who can paste link for downloading ?