Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Duvet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Help! I need a new duvet because mine isn't very thick and its fucking freezing in winter.

Ive never bought a duvet in my life so don't really know what I am looking for. Where should I go to buy one? Whats the deal with goose/ duck/ emu feathers? And what does tog mean?

I just want a big double duvet thats going to keep me warm. :D

Comments

• Options
    Tog is the heat rating. 13.5 or 15 tog is a nice warm winter rating. I think it goes up to 20, but not 100%.

Down is the warmest filling, but also the most expensive. You can also get a mixture of feathers and down, just feathers, and synthetic (least warm but cheapest!). If you have dust allergies or a v tight budget, synthetic is the way forward, but otherwise the more natural material you can get in there the better.

We got ours from Dunelm Mill - if you have one of these near you GOGOGO! It's a mix of feathers and down, so is really nice and warm without it being extortionately priced (think it was £25ish for a kingsize). All the supermarkets will do them (for really cheap), but I think they're mainly synthetic. Also try Argos.

:)
  • Options
    The bigger the "TOG" rating on it, the better it will be at keeping you warm.
  • Options
    I might ask for a big warm scrummy duvet for my burfday :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yes. Togs are the warmth.

You can also get some that you can add together. We have some that are a summer quilt, but can be attached to another to make a winter quilt.

Our current one is duck feather and down and it is lush. It crunches in a satisfying manner. It's ace :D
  • Options
    I bought a duvet, mattress softener, and two pillows it cost me about £40 from argos. Cause believe me I live in an igloo hehehe.... they are all made from duck feathers so if I am not already quackers I will be after I have used them all. Have the duvet on the bed at the moment and at first it was very hot and now it is lovely and it is very soft and I would reccommend this one.
  • Options
    Tescos have a sale on silentnight duvets at the mo
  • Options
    i hate feather ones. give me a nice squishy soft synthetic one any day.
  • Options
    if you can get the ones which work both in the winter and summer. as i live in a very hot house i only use the summer one now, but before i used to need the winter one when i got cold...

tesco is good for duvets

but don't get feather pillows they give your neck no support!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit

but don't get feather pillows they give your neck no support!

You are right - I need some decent neck support at night!
  • Options
    Yes. Togs are the warmth.

You can also get some that you can add together. We have some that are a summer quilt, but can be attached to another to make a winter quilt.

Need to be careful with those thoug, if you move around whilst sleeping as I do. I have that sort of duvet and it is a bastard when they keep going apart as I hate doing bedcover, and them coming apart means I have to do it more often than usually to put them back together :(
  • Options
    Our double one is a £9 Tesco Value synthetic one and it does the job. I have just replaced the previous one of the same which lasted 3 years of uni. BHS have got loads of duvets in their sale at 60% off so that might be worth a look too.
  • Options
    I got one from Debenhams in the end. I just asked the women in the store which one she would buy. Works a treat :thumb:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Calvin wrote: »
    I just asked the women in the store which one she would buy.

She gonna come and get tucked up with you too? :p