Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Spirits or Lager?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Which do you think would be more damaging to the system?

I know it's all depending on how much of either you drink but I was just wondering as when you're doing lager its usually pints of the stuff but vodka, for example, you drink in much smaller amounts usually and has a much higher alcohol content.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah but one drink of lager (half pint) has the same alcohol in as one drink of vodka and coke.
    Well there is more other stuff in lager besides the alcohol, since it contains less alcohol per volume. I don't know if any of this other stuff would be bad for your health, though... it would be mostly water, with other fermentation products.

The additional water consumed per volume of alcohol would be greater from the lager. This would in theory mean the overall dehyrdation effect would be lower for lager, per the amount of alcohol consumed. A lot of the negative effects from alcohol come from dehydration, so in theory this would be decreased with alcohol.

This depends on a couple of factors though: 1. You drink spirits at the same rate as you would lager. I drink shorts much faster than pints! 2. The additional water from lager is actually absorbed - as far as I know the uptake of water is decreased under the influence of alcohol, but I assume there would still be more water intake overall from lager than from spirits.
    Hey i work in pub +spirits id say it depends on the actual percentage u can sum 40percent vodka+sum what are say only 28percent :yippe:
    I had a lad say to me the reason why drinking so much is bad for you is due to how much you're working your organs turning it into urine.

Obviously if you're necking pint after pint the volume of water is going to be far higher than say a vodka and coke. I'm kinda wondering which is worse.. volume of water consumed or percentage of alcohol.
    Volume of water isnt that bad, end of the day your stomach can only hold so much and your full.
    spirits far worse overall

a lot more damaging that beer over a space of time, not to mention its easy to get VERY fucked using spirits

with beer you can only drink so much until you get bloated and gassy, if youre out partying all through to the next night then beer becomes a misson to force down, not very enjoyable!

with spirits you can drink yourself into a bad state, and fast

also, overall, any alcoholics ive known/heard of who used spirits as their weapon of choice tended to drink themselves to death quicker than any beer drinker. same goes with the white cider drinkers, that stuff would rot ya from the inside out not a bother :yuck:
    Haha yeah that's very true, the nights where I've been most wasted are due to spirits.

Bit off topic.. I can't remember where I read it from, but apparently some homeless people drink Listerine because it can get you fucked.. although it literally burns away the insides. Don't know if it's true or not though.
    maybe SOME do but as a whole nah i seriously doubt it

i know plently of homeless people in and around my city centre and although they're hardened alcoholics, they don't go that far
    i've heard of people drinking mouthwash because of the ethanol content.. i don't think many would actually do it though :yuck:

back on topic, i agree that lager would probably be safer because there's more volume to it, so you'll get full easier and quicker with a smaller percentage of alcohol in your blood.

that said, having more than one unit of alcohol per hour is bad for you, full stop, because your liver can only process one unit of alcohol per hour and any more puts a strain on your liver.

- Half a pint of 3.5% lager is one unit
    - One 125 mL glass of 9% wine is one unit
    - 25mL of 40% spirits is one unit