Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hallelujah

2»

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I really like that song, I'm not sure which is the version I've heard though.

I also like this cover... But that of the Deep Purple song :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    who cares? Grace is probably the most overrated album ever released.
    O_o wrote: »
    who cares? Grace is probably the most overrated album ever released.

Nope. That spot belongs to 'The Dark Side Of The Moon'.

I'm sorry. I just don't like that one.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    This is just a campaign for music snobs - the self styled music elite.
    These are the people that think listening to the 'right' type of music makes you 'cool'. If a songs too popular it's not cool, if it's mainstream it's not cool, if it's not by some lesser know artist who's songs make you want to slit your wrists it's not fucking cool.

Of course that's all bollocks. Music is subjective. It's not about who made it, when or where it came from, whether it's not lyrically orginal, it's about how it makes you feel.
    Weekender Offender 
    I quite like all three versions...having heard them on the bbc this morning.
    Most artists do cover versions nowadays is that because no-one writes songs? If I sing someone else's song I make it my own version.
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    Surely this kind of thing can't keep happening - classics being covered by people with no discernible talent

Like Jeff Buckley?

Seriously, he makes one very average album, dies, and then everyone starts gushing about him being some sort of musical genius. So overrated and I hate it when people bang on about him like he's the re-incarnation of John Lennon, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen rolled into one.
    I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous statement. Buckley was extremely talented whether in regards to his voice or musicianship, his death is irrelevant to how talented he is. The Live at Sin-E recordings show this from a man in a coffee shop with a microphone and guitar.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Well, Buckley is at no.2, Alexandra is no.1 and the original is at no.36.
    Skive wrote: »
    This is just a campaign for music snobs - the self styled music elite.
    These are the people that think listening to the 'right' type of music makes you 'cool'. If a songs too popular it's not cool, if it's mainstream it's not cool, if it's not by some lesser know artist who's songs make you want to slit your wrists it's not fucking cool.

Of course that's all bollocks. Music is subjective. It's not about who made it, when or where it came from, whether it's not lyrically orginal, it's about how it makes you feel.

Hear! Hear!

I hate it when someone says such and such a band were good before everyone else starts to like them. What I reckon it is is people like to say they like a band and hear the question "I've never heard of them. who are they?" then they can go one for ages about what this band does and how they play blah blah and end up recommending them to a friend. When the band becomes popular they can no longer do this.
    A great case is Green Day. I think they have just gotten better and better as the years go by, but when they released their first major label album 'Dookie' a lot of their underground fans thought they had sold out. They gained a new fan base and lost them when they released 'American Idiot' (One of the best albums ever!) because they had now officially hit the mainstream.
    Like Jeff Buckley?

Seriously, he makes one very average album, dies, and then everyone starts gushing about him being some sort of musical genius. So overrated and I hate it when people bang on about him like he's the re-incarnation of John Lennon, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen rolled into one.

The only thing more annoying than people who gush about how someone is some sort of musical genius after they've died, is the people who claim that the only reason people like something is because they died. As if Jeff Buckley (or Nirvana) weren't the subjects of huge critical acclaim before they died. Whether you agree with them or not, (I'm not a huge Nirvana fan myself), to suggest that the praise is a result of them dying is clearly bollocks. Nirvana were the most critically-acclaimed band of the early 90s, and Jeff Buckley was the most critically-acclaimed singer-songwriter (except maybe Bjork), well before he died.
    ahhhhh bjork :heart:
    Jeff Buckley was the most critically-acclaimed singer-songwriter

Which means absolutely fuck all. For me good music about the emtions and feelings it evokes in me. What sombody else thinks of music means fuck all to me. It's not about jumping on the band wagon and being a fan of what's 'cool'
    Some of the most powerful feelings I've ever had from music are the result of simple and 'meaningless' dance tracks I listen to.

Besides. He hasn't reached No.2 because of critical acclaim, he's reached it because of negative reaction to the X factor.

I like Jeff Buckley's studio Hallelujah more than any other version, and I I'm no fan of the X factor, but the musical rivalry that being whipped up is bollocks. Nothing to get worked up about.
    And he murders it live :eek2: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyeVMJTjY0

It's song. People claiming musical superiority are idiots. It's subjective like any other art or taste.
    Weekender Offender 
    By the way, Alexandra was always going to get to number one. The record company buy the single in bulk to make sure of it. All the disgruntled Buckley fans in the world can't match the buying power of the Cowell.

The charts are bollocks these days. So why worry?
    I like Alex's version and I think she sings is beautifully (although the video is pure cheese!). People have been telling me to listen to jeff buckley's and leonard cohen's versions but why should I and why is everyone making a big deal? I've heard loads of leonard cohen's music before and I think he's great but I'm not bothered someone has covered his song. Also, I know Hallelujah from Shrek originally, no idea who sang that version!!
    Skive wrote: »
    Which means absolutely fuck all.
    I didn't say it did. I just said that the claim that people like something because the person who made it is dead is utter bollocks, because most critics were praising it well before he died.
    And he murders it live
    Not on the live DVD I've got, he doesn't.
    it doesnt, because i dont know who did the original :o

It was bob dylan in case you were wondering.

I have two very minor claims to fame around both one being that i signed an amnesty international petition the name under bob at a festival - missing him by about 30s beforehand in the tent and the other being that my mum's accountant at work is the stepfather of jimmy's love child - which is just totally random.....
    bloody bob dylan.
    Pretty much anyone that covers his songs does better than him.
    Great poet/songwriter though. Cant stand the voice. Apparently hes a nob live too and doesnt interact with the audience at all
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I have two very minor claims to fame around both one being that i signed an amnesty international petition the name under bob at a festival - missing him by about 30s beforehand in the tent and the other being that my mum's accountant at work is the stepfather of jimmy's love child - which is just totally random.....

:eek: can i have your autograph?
    :eek: can i have your autograph?

I know i'm so cool - i dont like bob that much either and agree about the covers thing - the jimmy thing though is hillarious as the bloke is really boring and not rock and roll at all.

i have another one that i was picked to stand in the front row at CD UK - i rock - i got to make eyes at westlife!
    I do like the Buckely version but TOO DEPRESSING we need some FUN.

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED. HAPPY TRACKS.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=47k94dIkz6A
    http//uk.youtube.com/watch?v+-t0yvLWTLoe

Whsitle Posse Blow.

Happy Xmas Everybody.
    Weekender Offender