Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Much Is That Doggy In the Window?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I suppose they do roll themselves up quite small because although they are leggy there is a big gap around the tummy end because they aren't very low slung! hehe. I wouldn't have a big dog anyway regardless of the breed. Not that I'm planning on having a dog anyway!
  • Options
    I'd have a pair of greyhounds in a shot if a) I had my own space and b) the time/money. Maybe one day in the future.

It's just so sad about the numbers of dogs abandoned round the christmas time :(
  • Options
    I suppose they do roll themselves up quite small because although they are leggy there is a big gap around the tummy end because they aren't very low slung! hehe. I wouldn't have a big dog anyway regardless of the breed. Not that I'm planning on having a dog anyway!
    The gap isn't that bad unless you have a skinny ass one (like our oldie). It is quite funny when they do a "perfect down" though, it looks like they're balancing on their ribs :p.

Seriously, they're just like massive cats, apart from the odd time when they, yanno, chase cats.
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    I'd have a pair of greyhounds in a shot if a) I had my own space and b) the time/money. Maybe one day in the future.

It's just so sad about the numbers of dogs abandoned round the christmas time :(
    Seriously, they DON'T take up space, no more than any other medium sized-dog. All they ask is two 20-minute walks a day, a nice thick duvet/blanket on the floor, a couple of stuffed toys and the occasional manic run round the garden. The only thing that's any different to a collie or spaniel (aside from LESS EXERCISE and less mental stimulation) is that they obviously get a bit colder in the winter, being so lanky, so they like to have coats (or you can go all out like my mum and buy them snoods and (yes I'm serious) pyjamas).
  • Options
    I want a sausage dog!
  • Options
    I want a sausage dog!
    My uncle has one of those :D. I think he does, anyway. I know his first one had to be pts because it's back hips went (common in dachshunds), and that he got another one but I'm not sure if that one went the same way or if it's still going. It was strange, though, because he used to breed great danes (GORGEOUS, but they DO take up space and you don't want to be in the line of fire when they shake their heads) and I would be sitting in his lounge with Jack (a dane) in the kitchen behind a child gate and his little dachshund on my knee. It was weirder when he would let Jack into the lounge.
  • Options
    Franki...I live in a single room in a shared house. That's what I meant about my own space :p When I get my own gaff in the future a pooch will be muchly welcome :D

Just a shame I'll be working 12hr shifts...hmm, maybe I can get a dog once I've retired eh?
  • Options
    Franki...I live in a single room in a shared house. That's what I meant about my own space :p When I get my own gaff in the future a pooch will be muchly welcome :D

Just a shame I'll be working 12hr shifts...hmm, maybe I can get a dog once I've retired eh?
    Ah, yes, me too. I would love my puppy dog to come live here with me, but there's no chance. I still stand by my point though :p.
  • Options
    And I agree with your point!

We do need pictures of peoples pooches though. I'll add the gruesome twosome that live at home.

Sparticus is a nearly 9yo english springer spaniel - mad as a hatter.
    Breezer is a nearly 8yo basset hound - a loveable cowbag!
  • Options
    i love spartacus (L)

ive always wanted a greyhound, but the chasing cats thing puts me off a lot
  • Options

You'll have to live with someone who works opposite shifts. You'll never see them, but you can have a lovely dog :p

This is the (obese and ageing) Hollypup:

2199538748_cd345a736f.jpg
  • Options
    My prents used to have a greyhound. We found that she generally took up less room than our lurcher x collie. (apart from when she decided she was going to stretch right out and kick everyone who sat near her)

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v369/33/112/1408913918/n1408913918_119553_7017.jpg
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    You'll have to live with someone who works opposite shifts. You'll never see them, but you can have a lovely dog :p

This is the (obese and ageing) Hollypup:

2199538748_cd345a736f.jpg

Awww! So cute!! This makes me want one even more! :heart:
  • Options
    i love spartacus (L)

ive always wanted a greyhound, but the chasing cats thing puts me off a lot
    They aren't any worse than other dogs, really. If you have cats at home, obviously you would have to introduce them gradually, but with time they'll get on fine (ours sleep on the same bed these days), and though they will still perk their ears up at cats outdoors, if you're in a residential area they should be on a lead anyway. We have more problems with squirrels and rabbits than cats, and that's mostly from my collie x.
  • Options
    Melian, what a beautiful dog :D
  • Options
    Melian, what a beautiful dog :D

Thank you. Unfortunately, she had a heart attack and died a few weeks ago.:(

Olive - that dog is lovely!
    the occasional manic run round the garden.

Ours rarely wanted to go out, so she'd just just run between the dinning room and front room. Often slipping because the floor was laminate, she'd then refuse to come out of the front room.
  • Options
    Oh I'm so sorry :(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Skive...PLEASE post a pic :D

Not great photo's.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Your dogs got lovely colouring Skive. Looks in great condition too, love to see them with a great shiny coat.

My mutt doesn't cost me that much really. His food last about a month and a half and is £15 a bag. Needs to have that certain one as needs to be low protein as have to watch his weight. Other than that a low amount of pet insurance and that's it. Apart from the odd vet trip once a year for his skin problems (his breed are prone to them, he's a norwegian elkhound). Just grateful he doesn't eat everything he sees or gets himself into dodgy scrapes etc. He's a good lad, looking after mum's pocket :thumb: Mind you compared to the horses he's very cheap :blush:
  • Options
    Brill pics Skive :D
  • Options
    Turns out my boyfriend's sister is starting to breed her cat so we might have a moggy in a few months! Oooh!