Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pls Help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ITE PPL

im 15 and this is the time when you have decide what you want to do for d rest of your life, maybe not for the rest of your life but first part of your life.

im intrested in media sport and i need to do english and one or more other subjects to get enough points to give me any chance of going to uni

but what i need/wana know is which one is the better option BTEC or A levels??? also which one will take me to uni???

i dnt do exams by btw i mess up when it comes to exams

taa 4 d help ppl
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi AKN,

Welcome to TheSite.org's messageboard and a great first post.

Making decisions about what to do when you are 16 is difficult for everyone, but the good thing is that you are actively thinking about what you want to do.

A Levels are traditionally the way people go into university, but that doesn't mean they are the only option and most universities/employers will look at alternative qualifications favourably. You can find out all the options here.

Choosing your courses and subjects really depends on what you want to do in the media. If it's something like journalism or scriptwriting then English and History are obvious subjects; if you are looking at the more technical/production aspects then physics or IT would be more suitable. That said, the media is a trade not a profession - there is no qualification you need to get a job in the media (unlike a nurse, teacher, solicitor etc) and most employers are as interested in your creative/outside school interests than your qualifications.

Make sure you chat with teachers and careers advisors at your school, but also remember that these decisions aren't final: a lot of my friends are doing completely different jobs to what they thought they'd be doing when they were sixteen. As Baz Luhrmann said: "Don?t feel guilty if you don?t know what you want to do with your life?the most interesting people I know didn?t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don?t. "

Good luck, and welcome to TheSite.org...

Olly