Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lulu.com and Self Publishers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm getting increasingly interested in saving some money to print a selection of my short stories. Lulu.com can do this for me. I can even be cheeky and ask people to pay for my books just so that I can make the money back for them.
I consider it like when a band records their own album and sells it. It's much the same, isn't it? I don't write for the money, I write to have my story shared, and obviously because I love doing it, of course.

Has anyone else gone done the self-published route or considered doing it? It doesn't seem dangerous to me, at least not on Lulu.com and I think it would be interesting to see how it goes.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My friend is a self employed artist and children's book illustrator and she has published 2 books through Lulu and then sells them in her studio. She's extremely happy with them.

=] Thank you! I've heard that they're really very good.
    I've always wondered about the self-publishing route. Is it worth touting your book round to publishers first? The thing is I wonder if it would help or hinder getting a publishing deal, if of course that is your aim.
    BlackArab wrote: »
    I've always wondered about the self-publishing route. Is it worth touting your book round to publishers first? The thing is I wonder if it would help or hinder getting a publishing deal, if of course that is your aim.

That's the thing. I'm not after a contract or royalties. I guess I could try finding some publishers who take unsolicited manuscripts first to see what happens, and then take the self published route.
    If your book is good then get it submitted to places and someone will pick it up without you having to pay out for publication yourself.
    Mist wrote: »
    If your book is good then get it submitted to places and someone will pick it up without you having to pay out for publication yourself.

Yeah, so indie publishers are fine. But I can't go in for many publishers because I don't have an agent or whatever.
    You'd be surprised how many publishers do stay on the lookout for new material. The best place to start would be to pick up, or check out at the library, a copy of The Writer's Handbook or The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook - both containing all UK and US agents and publishers. They also include lots of information of how to submit material and what the publishers are interested in.

For short stories you'll also find lots of literary magazine publishers who may be more likely to publish a short story.
    Jim V wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how many publishers do stay on the lookout for new material. The best place to start would be to pick up, or check out at the library, a copy of The Writer's Handbook or The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook - both containing all UK and US agents and publishers. They also include lots of information of how to submit material and what the publishers are interested in.

For short stories you'll also find lots of literary magazine publishers who may be more likely to publish a short story.

Yeah, I'm signed up with FirstWriter.com who have a massive database of agencies and publishers.