Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Extended wear contacts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking into these. The 7 and the 30 day ones. Though I've heard and read that the 30 day ones leave you more prone to eye infections and the like. Any experience with either of these?

A woman at work wears the 30 day ones and hasn't had any problems but I don't know anybody else who does so I lack a variety of experiences.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally, I would avoid extended-wear contact lens or, at least, the 30 days ones. Not changing your contacts regularly is like not changing your underwear. As the 'pores' of the lens clog up from impurities in the fluids of the eye, it makes it more difficult for the surface of the eye to breathe, and this can cause minute veins to start growing out across the cornea of the eye, seeking more oxygen. In the worst case scenario, this can affect your sight. Daily disposables are best but the 7-day one should be a good option.
    Well that sounds awful. I got glasses last year and I hate them. A hate that burns deep within me. But I know I'm far too lazy and forgetful to change contacts every day. Thanks for the advice!
    I have the monthly contacts and have never had problems and I've been wearing them since I was 14 (I'm 21 now). As long as you try and clean then with the solution when you take them out and put them in you will be fine.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Personally, I would avoid extended-wear contact lens or, at least, the 30 days ones. Not changing your contacts regularly is like not changing your underwear. As the 'pores' of the lens clog up from impurities in the fluids of the eye, it makes it more difficult for the surface of the eye to breathe, and this can cause minute veins to start growing out across the cornea of the eye, seeking more oxygen. In the worst case scenario, this can affect your sight. Daily disposables are best but the 7-day one should be a good option.

Actually, I'm not sure how accurate this is :chin: I wear the 30 day ones and have done for several months now with no problems. Apparently when they first came on the market years ago, there were problems with them as you describe, because the technology hadn't been developed properly. Now though they are actually better for your eyes than the other varieties, because the technology has advanced a massive amount - the material is actually more "breathable" than the other varieties and as my optician pointed out, not having to change them regularly means you have to put your fingers in/near your eyes less - hence less bacteria and dirt from your fingertips being transferred to your eyes. You could argue that he was just trying to get me to buy them, but as they were the cheapest option available I don't think that can be it.

Here is some info from the British Contact Lens Association:
    http://www.bcla.org.uk/continuous_wear.asp

Just my thoughts on it :)
    Thank you for the more information :D
    I'm currently on my first set of 30 day ones and love them! I find they're much much more comfortable than the daily ones. I however remove mine every night, I'm not fond of leaving them in while I sleep.
    I wear them and I heart them lots, they're great - really convenient. I've never had an eye infection from them *touches wood* and I got a couple when I used to wear the ones you take out and wash every night.