Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can I get a refund?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hmm, I think the answer to this is already no but I thought I'd ask anyhoo.

I booked my train ticket home yesterday. I got an open return to leave on Friday.

I've literally just been offered a lift home by a friend and I could really do with the £40 cash from the ticket but because I bought it with cash and not online...and the train isn't getting cancelled it's just me wanting my money back, will they refund me?

I've got no money (well, about 11p) and that £40 would buy my family the christmas presents they are currently not going to be able to receive :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Refunds

Your ticket is refundable.

If you decide not to use your ticket to make all or part of your intended journey then you can get a refund by returning your unused ticket to the ticket office or place of purchase (for tickets bought via websites, telesales or travel agents) within 28 days of the ticket expiry date. You may be required to pay an administration fee.

The refund amount will normally take into account any use you have made of the ticket and in some circumstances no refund will be paid.

that's for Anytime tickets which I think yours is.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/anytime_conditions.html
    that's for Anytime tickets which I think yours is.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/anytime_conditions.html
    Open Return is different to anytime though I think. Anytime is the new one they've introduced so you can leave at an off-peak time but come back at a peak time (hence anytime), whereas open is only off-peak.
    Yeah, my ticket is an off-peak open return.

It might just be worth me going to have a look and asking :)
    Right okay...

Did they only refund you if you paid by card? I paid cash!
    Will do, after my early tomorrow.

Curvy_lass wrote: »
    Did they only refund you if you paid by card? I paid cash!

They should refund you by how you paid, so you should get the cash back.
    That is SUCH good news. I need to put £30 into my account by friday or I'll end up with a bad credit rating :(

Trying not to get my hopes up in case I can't get the cash!!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You will get a refund by the method in which you paid. The way you paid can be determined by the letter after the price. For example £2.30M or £2.50X

You may have to pay an administration fee which is often £5 but can be upto £10.

Simply return it to any ticket office, remember to take both parts (out and return) and any railcards used.
    Franki wrote: »
    Open Return is different to anytime though I think. Anytime is the new one they've introduced so you can leave at an off-peak time but come back at a peak time (hence anytime), whereas open is only off-peak.

Open Returns come in two forms, in Off peak and Anytime. The Off peak open return is what used to be the 'SVR/Saver', the Anytime open return is what used to be the SOR (standard open return)
    JsT wrote: »
    Open Returns come in two forms, in Off peak and Anytime. The Off peak open return is what used to be the 'Saver'

It still is called the Saver :p. They have Standard Off-Peak, Saver Return, Anytime Return and like a million other options. I get so confused sometimes when I'm in a rush because they have so many options under my "Return > Any Route" these days :(.
    It doesn't exist. Saver became Off-Peak return.

Standard Day became Anytime Day
    Cheap Day became Off Peak Day
    First Day became Anytime Day 1st
    Savers became Off peak Return, Saver singles were withdrawn.
    Standard Open became Anytime open
    Other promotional/weekend tickets became Super Off Peak
    All advance changed to follow a standard naming policy and All rovers and season tickets were unchanged.
    It doesn't. Saver became Off-Peak return.

Standard Day became Anytime Day
    Cheap Day became Off Peak Day
    First Day became Anytime Day 1st
    Savers became Off peak Return, Saver singles were withdrawn.
    Standard Open became Anytime open
    Other promotional/weekend tickets became Super Off Peak
    All advance changed to follow a standard naming policy and All rovers and season tickets were unchanged.
    Really?

Clearly I don't read properly. That's mostly because I'm always justabouttomissmygoddamntrain though.
    Trains do my head in!
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    Trains do my head in!

Try working for them. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    Are you a train driver?
    I think that Cross Country used the renaming as an excuse to get rid of most of it's cheap advances, eg the advance C which was £6.60 with railcard leeds-banbury :grump:
    I think that Cross Country used the renaming as an excuse to get rid of most of it's cheap advances, eg the advance C which was £6.60 with railcard leeds-banbury :grump:
    The famous '3 per train' advance..........

Curvy - I'm not a driver no!
    The famous '3 per train' advance..........

Curvy - I'm not a driver no!
    Quite often managed to get one though! Sometimes it was on the leeds-sheffield via barns and then sheffield to brum and brum to banbury but for £6.60 who cares about a couple of changes? Plus the northern trains are much more comfy than the cross country ones.
    Quite often managed to get one though! Sometimes it was on the leeds-sheffield via barns and then sheffield to brum and brum to banbury but for £6.60 who cares about a couple of changes? Plus the northern trains are much more comfy than the cross country ones.
    Have you tried setting Barnsley as a via point? That might help.
    It's always the 16 past train that's the Barnsley one, all the XC ones leave about 10 past I think. I'm sure you know this ;)
    Since Cross Country took over though, it has been SO hard to find advance tickets, and when you do they are about £25 which really isn't a discount when a return will cost £42.25. Although saying that it's all going up by 11% on that company anyway so I'm fucked either way. I think I'm going to start going via London and up from Marylebone - takes the same amount of time at the moment with their $%^£$W^^ engineering works and mandatory change.
    It is difficult -the main problem is that Virgin had masses of AP's and it was overcrowding, now Arriva have it the first thing they've done is chop a ton of them - it hasn't made a bit of difference though. In the new timetable there is going to be extra advance tickets available on services run by 'HST' trains of which there are about four a day.

There are now two Barnsley expressess one at .05 and the other at .37, the .05 continues to Nottingham. ;)
    Well I got a refund..although a tenner less then I paid because of the 'admin' charge. Makes me laugh that does...I was the one filling out all the ruddy paperwork!! ;)
    Good news all round then.