Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Trainspotting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
A guy from work lent me this film and I watched it last night. I've never seen it before, but have seen other films by Danny Boyle and have wanted to see it for ages.

I thought it was fantastic, though not neccesarily a 'nice' film.

Just thought I'd share this:)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A guy from work lent me this film and I watched it last night. I've never seen it before, but have seen other films by Danny Boyle and have wanted to see it for ages.

I thought it was fantastic, though not neccesarily a 'nice' film.

Just thought I'd share this:)

Damn straight! An amazing film! The book is on my wishlist!
    Begbie is a legend :D
    If you can get past the Scottish colloquialisms, the book is way better than the film!
    If you can get past the Scottish colloquialisms, the book is way better than the film!

I can't wait to read it - and I'll understand all the colloquialisms!
    A guy on my course did his dissertation on Irvine Welsh and went to meet up with him in a dodgy pub somewhere. That would have been an interesting conversation!
    You're only getting to watch it now? :eek: :thumb:

Great film! :D
    I knew sort of what to expect from it (I'd seen 'the worst toilet in Scotland' scene before) so didn't think it was going to be a feelgood film, but I must say that I was genuinly shocked by the death of the baby:crying: even though, from the first shot of the child, I knew that something may happen. It was purely how it was shot. Any director who can make us feel genuine emotions rather than telling us how we should feel is definitly one of the greats. Then of course you've got the actors in that scene. All of the men underacting perfectly and the woman screaming in just the way I would expect of a mother whose found out that she has been indirectly responsible for the death of her child.

The cold turkey scene scared the shit out of me as well. There's something about babys crawling on ceilings that terrifies me. It's one of the reasons I was scared of The Labyrinth when I was a kid. That and David Bowie. I'll never forgive him for causing my mulletophobia.:impissed:
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    I can't wait to read it - and I'll understand all the colloquialisms!
    A guy on my course did his dissertation on Irvine Welsh and went to meet up with him in a dodgy pub somewhere. That would have been an interesting conversation!

It's a great book, so many different stories and characters in it. Just amazing. Though it is very hard to get into it, I didn't know what "ken" meant or what a "bairn" was when I first read it. :D
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    It's a great book, so many different stories and characters in it. Just amazing. Though it is very hard to get into it, I didn't know what "ken" meant or what a "bairn" was when I first read it. :D

Aww bless you! I just find it weird cause I use those words all the time. Especially 'ken', on a day to day basis. I forget sometimes that not everyone knows what it means! Heh.
    Yerascrote wrote: »

My mum said it was the first book chosen for her book club. She hadn't joined at that time and said she was grateful. I really can't imagine her liking that film or the book
    Aww bless you! I just find it weird cause I use those words all the time. Especially 'ken', on a day to day basis. I forget sometimes that not everyone knows what it means! Heh.

So what does it mean?
    So what does it mean?

'ken' is 'know'
    and 'bairn' is 'child'
    'ken' is 'know'
    and 'bairn' is 'child'

In Steven King's 'Dark Tower' series he uses the word 'ken' to mean understanding, perhaps he got it from Scotland?
    In Steven King's 'Dark Tower' series he uses the word 'ken' to mean understanding, perhaps he got it from Scotland?

That's where it comes from =] Not the Dark Tower, obviously.
    By strange coincidence, 'The Dark Tower' also features a heroin junkie and the whole series is just as wierd as the film.
    I read the book before watching the film, and the book is waaaay better.

I've got another 3 Irvine Welsh books here waiting to be read, can't wait!