Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Insurance Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey All,

We all know insurance companies are a set of ....... and they try to screw us over everytime we make a geniuine claim, well my GF has another situation and I was wondering if any of you have the knowledge to give me some advice to pass onto her as I'm not 100% sure where she stands:

Situation:
My GF wakes up in the night to a bang, she looks out and sees a car stuck out of the back of her car, she goes out and no-one is in the car, a neighbour comes out and lets her know its someones car who lives up the road.... now what seems to have happened is the car has been broken in to, the handbrake let off and the car has rolled down the road and smashed into my GF's!
Now I would think that the neighbours car has caused the damage and so the neighbours insurance company should pay for the damage on both cars?
My GF's insurance are saying because they didn't catch the person who did it she has no-one to claim off and she will have to pay the first £350 (her excess) of the cost to fix!

Any Ideas as to where she stands??
I think if she fights and argues she might get them to change there mind, even go to the ombudsman if she has to... I know from my experience I have never got anything without fighting for it, but eventually I've being paid out!

Your help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Speak to citizens advice. IMO, the excess should be recoverable from the insurance held on the other car.

The insurance company for the third party are liable for costs incurred by you regarding the attempted theft of the other vehicle. If they dispute this, they are lying IMO.

If the car were stolen, and driven into another vehicle, their insurance company would still be liable. It has nothing to do with whether they apprehended the person attempting the theft or not.
  • Options
    Yeah this seems to me to be a clear case of where the other party should be paying out of their insurance. Don't listen to this flannel about noone being seen.
  • Options
    Its a joke I know, this is the response my GF got when she e-mailed an information centre:

Thank you for your enquiry. .
    If the driver had been identified at the scene then, under the Road Traffic Act, the insurer of the vehicle would have had to deal with the claim as RTA insurer. Unfortunately as the driver was not identified there is nobody else to claim off other than your own insurer and if you do this you will have to pay the excess on your policy. Also you may loose some or all of your no claims bonus.

Looks like shes on a loser, how shit is that?
  • Options
    Having worked in car insurance this situation is all too common.

Insurance companies will try and settle cases like this 50/50, which benefits them as they dont have to pay 100% but doesn’t benefit the policyholder who both lose out on excess and any NCB.

However! It depends how much of a fuss you make. The majority of people just accept the insurance companies’ word.

If there is nobody (or no insurance) to claim from then usually it would go against you. However in this case if someone else car hit your girlfriends, your girlfriends insurance company do have the other car owners to claim from. The problem is for the owner of the car which rolled down the street, they have nobody to claim from.

Anyway, it’s down to how much of a fuss you make!
  • Options
    Yes you are probably right Calvin, its a shame how the only way you can get an insurance comapny to pay out is by arguing and making a fuss!

Its happened to me a couple of times but although stressful I'm quite good at making a fuss and it doesn't bother me having an argument with the insurance company, my GF on the otherhand doesn't like to do these things and I think thats true of a lot of people and that's why people just accept what the insurance say and move on!
  • Options
    Yes you are probably right Calvin, its a shame how the only way you can get an insurance comapny to pay out is by arguing and making a fuss!

they have to make a profit somehow ;)
  • Options
    Its a joke I know, this is the response my GF got when she e-mailed an information centre:

Thank you for your enquiry. .
    If the driver had been identified at the scene then, under the Road Traffic Act, the insurer of the vehicle would have had to deal with the claim as RTA insurer. Unfortunately as the driver was not identified there is nobody else to claim off other than your own insurer and if you do this you will have to pay the excess on your policy. Also you may loose some or all of your no claims bonus.

Looks like shes on a loser, how shit is that?

Have you spoken with Citizens Advice yet? What did they say?
  • Options
    That was some kind of citizen advice response I think.... Don't know what shes doing yet, think shes plucking up courage to argue with them lol