Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Brazilian wax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know if this is in the right place but ive been thinking about getting a brazillian (wax) but im not sure whether i dare or not. Also im unsure of where to get it done, most beauty salons in my area do bikini wax but none say brazillian.
Has anyone ever had one or has any advice?
Also, ive never had a wax in that area before so im quite hairy, will this matter?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've only ever had those waxes done in London, so my answers for recommendations would be very London-centric I'm afraid, and I don't know where you are.

For a brazillian wax, I would definitely recommend getting it done in a place where they use hot wax (i.e. wax directly applied to the skin and pulled off by hand) than warm wax (strip waxing). The former is much quicker, and less painful.

Some salons will advertise doing brazilian waxes, but the staff experience may be quite limited - as I discovered to my horror that the waxer had never done a brazilian wax before.

Don't worry about the hair being too long, the place I used to go to with a good reputation used to trim any excess hair themselves.
    I get a full "hollywood" wax (hate the name though) done with cold wax, i find it much quicker than with hot wax, it hurts a little more but its over pretty quickly.

But, for your first time definitely try hot wax first and let them know its your first time in advance, that way they will take a little longer to do it in smaller sections and will probably expect more growth and they'll most likely prepare the scissors to give it a quick trim.
    i get a hollywood done - i'm in near manchester. go somewhere a bit posher/upmarket for your first time, you're more likely to feel at ease somewhere lovely and they'll have highly trained people. the type of wax they use for mine is the hot wax, that sets and then is pulled off, and it is called Lycon. not sure if you'd find it useful to give a few a ring and ask if they do Lycon waxing or something similar? if they're a good salon they'll know the name. not many places do the strip waxing for hollywoods or brazilians as it is such a sensitive area and if the technician isn't highly experienced, she would be likely to bruise you.
    ARGH! Even the thought of a waxing makes me tingle (and really not in a good way!) I wish I had the pain threshold for it...
    So honestly.... how mortifyingly embarrassing is this waxing business? Would anyone care to explain exactly what happens... how it goes down... and stuff? Always been curious...
    If you've never had one before, I'd reccomend just going for a normal one first - there would be nothing like getting one side done and then deciding you cant take the pain anymore!

I have found a waxer that uses chocolate here, which is virtually pain free and they only use 3 or 4 pieces for the whole area.

Definitely try to get someone recommended - it's nice to be put at ease by the waxer. My old one and I used to have chats about the state of our love lives blah blah blah.

And never feel embarrased. They have seen everything a thousand times, and wouldn't be doing it if they minded the job. And take sugary sweeties for after - my blood sugar level always takes a plummet after having hair ripped out of my body for twenty minutes. :p