Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

debt management plans

i am thinking of taking out one of these.

do they clear your debts for you then you pay them? i dont understand. like, do they clear your overdrafts and credit cards, take on the debt then you pay them? i dont want to have to see the debts anymore on my accounts. they bring me down. everything is minus this, minus that.

also, how much does it affect your credit rating?

would it affect me getting a mortgage when im older?

im 23 next month and im £8000 in debt (this doesn't include the £15,000 of university debt!) but at the moment, cannot afford all of the repayments. i mean, ive done a questionnaire on cccs website and according to that my monthly disposable income is £84 but its not because i have other bills to pay for that i couldn't put on there...for example, im trapped in 18 month £35 o2 mobile contract. i can reduce that to £15 though. just gotta ring them. i have no disposable income each month. ive had to live off credit but now, everything is maxed out and nowhere else will take me. its a bit messy :(

i mean, come april time, im moving out of where i am now and moving in my fella so ill be much better off (i'll be saving about £300 a month as ill be paying half of what i am now in rent/bills) so will be able to start paying it all off. will that be a better option? just to wait until then?

its just stressing me out so much :( its getting to the point where im thinking well "if i die, the debt will too". i know £8000 isn't much but when you have no money to pay it off, its pretty stressful.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Contact Consumer Credit Councelling Service or Debtline asap. They will be able to help you with out the added costs of an IVA etc (which should be a last resort option anyway). I've heard very good things about both of them.
  • Options
    a debt management plan isn't an iva is it? i can't have a iva as i read somewhere you have to be more than £15k in debt.
  • Options
    They not, but you want to go to one of the charities offering debt counselling for free and not a company that will charge you for the same service.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    thank you ellie. thats all really useful info.

one more question, in the future when im older (im talking 10 years or so away as im not going to consider getting a credit card ever again until im in a situation to be able to pay it off), will i be able to get one?

also, if my circumstances change (ie, in april when i move out therefore more money) and i can pay more to the cccs, will the affect of the reduced payments be as damaging on my credit score? how will they pay off my debts? like a little bit to each credit each month? is it possible to set up a debt management plan just for the credit cards? i'd be able to sort the overdrafts out myself in time.

its my credit score im really worried about tbh. my fella already owns a house but like, in 5 or 6 years time (if we are still together), we want to buy our own house together. his credit score is really good. will the fact that mine is shit stop us getting a mortgage together as the plan is, in 5 or 6 years time, we put our wages together = bigger mortgage = bigger house.

its all very confusing.
  • Options
    oh and ellie, it recommended either bankruptcy or a debt management plan.

im not going to declare myself bankrupt though. no way.
  • Options
  • Options
    i did the online debt remedy thing. ive asked them to send me some information in the post. i think im going to give them a ring after that if i need any more information :) sounds like it may be a good idea for me though tbh. its not the most ideal situation (because of the impact it may have on my credit rating) but its FAR better than the situation im in now plus the damage to my credit rating will be repairable. we'll see. i'll have to think about it.

thank you for all of your help! really grateful! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    ooo didn't know about that. cheers :)