Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

so yet another pointless whitewash enquiry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/dec/12/de-menezes-verdict

the jurors don't believe the police, surely since the juror's don't believe the officers statements compared to the counter statements that the policemen then surely perjured themselves

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what i don't understand is exactly why in this case an unlawful killing verdict can't be used? it has been in the past against the police..
    what i don't understand is exactly why in this case an unlawful killing verdict can't be used? it has been in the past against the police..

It was probably down to the "self defence" and "reasonable force" legal arguments.

Of course, those were based on false assumptions.
    I think the judicial review into the banning of the verdict unlawful killing will be interesting.

Ultimately it's a waste of public resources as despite the details its obvious that it -was- an unlawful killing, because he was innocent. That's not to say the individual officers are solely to blame as I would want them to hesitate in a real situation but at the same time someone needs to take responsibility.
    I'm really struggling to think of another case in British legal history where the jury was told they were only allowed to reach a certain veredict, and that a number of other possible veredicts where simply not allowed.

If it wasn't the case that a young man's life and death had been at stake, it would be fucking hilarious.

And they fucking wonder why so many people dislike them...