Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gluten free dessert!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in charge of making a gluten free dessert at xmas. It needs to feed approx ten people, and can't be chocolate (it can contain a bit of chocolate but not be the main focus as the other dessert is chocolate)

Also I will have 4 egg yolks to use up from a meringue so if they could be included that would be be amazing!

Anyone got any suggestions!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Off the top of my head as i'm about to do lunch. Cheesecake, i'm sure you can get gluten free bickies for the base, mousse/fool, fruit compote and yoghurt/cream, marzipan (only coz i made some yesterday for the first time and it came out really well and it'll use your yolks up :) ), pears poached in red wine and ammeretti (sp) with almonds, baked apples, syllabub. Shame about the chocolate, i've got a cracking recipe for black forest swiss roll type thing (not sure if there's gluten in cocoa powder).
    Ooh well the other dessert I'm making is a chocolate roulade so I'd like your recipe please!

Cheesecake with GF biscuits was another thought I had, will that use up my yolks? I'm not throwing them out, poor chickens worked hard to lay those!
    The only thought I had was cheesecake too. Keep the eggs and have them scrambled as a snack!

Kangoo, you are so cute - sewing your own clothes and baking your own desserts!
    You can make a baked cheesecake, i think that's the way they're done in the U.S.

Black Foresty thing :)

http://deliaonline.com/recipes/a-return-to-the-black-forest,1037,RC.html

A baked cheesecake

http://deliaonline.com/recipes/maple-and-walnut-cheesecake,1070,RC.html
    ETA if you do do a baked cheesecake, your 4 yolks can count as 2 eggs. Or you could make a custard tart all for yourself or a creme caramel
    syllabub?

what about something with swedish glace ice cream?

pavlova?
    Syllabub

Wine and cream and whipped up into creamy goodness and served in right nice glasses :) Sort of posh Angle Delight.

Recipes sometimes add sugar, egg whites (so you can get more alcohol in without it becoming sloppy), fruit juice/zest, licquers.

It's nice, light and dead easy to make.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    i'm sure you can get gluten free bickies for the base

You can. Tesco do some gluten free (branded as 'free from') biscuits. Not sure what biscuits you'd want though.
    At work if we make a meringue, we always have egg yolks left over and make them into a creme brulée.:yum:

This is a rough recipe which you could try to adapt:-

9 egg yolks
    1 ramekin of sugar
    2 pts cream
    vanilla or other flavouring

Whisk the yolks and sugar together until combined. Do not whisk too much otherwise you will aerate it and this gives an bubbly texture on the top of the finished product.
    Boil the cream and flavouring and pour onto the yolks, stirring whilst doing it.
    Pour the mixture into ramekins. This one may make six to eight portions depending on size.
    Place the ramekins in a deep tray and fill the tray with water until half full.
    Bake in the oven at a low heat 120-140 C for about four hours or until just set. As they cool they will set more. Do not overcook or they may curdle.
    When cool, sprinkle a little sugar over the top and caramelise with a blowtorch. I find the best way to do this is get a big hot one and fire the flame directly on top of the dish. The force of the gas coming out may blow some sugar around, but within about four to five seconds, you should have a caramelised top. Alternatively, you could bung them under a very hot grill if you do not have a blowtorch. I was once stuck with no gas and no grill one night so I got a pan put a little sugar in it and some water and boiled it until golden, then poured it over the pudding. This gave a thick topping, but it essentially worked.
    Or you could just bypass the caramelising completely and eat it as is.
    Melian wrote: »
    Not sure what biscuits you'd want though.

Digestive type biscuits are usually best.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    ETA if you do do a baked cheesecake, your 4 yolks can count as 2 eggs. Or you could make a custard tart all for yourself or a creme caramel

Ooh will it work just as good with just the yolks?
    kangoo wrote: »
    Ooh will it work just as good with just the yolks?

It should do, but it will be a little richer. I've made B+B pudding with just egg yolks before (Gary Rhodes recipe. The Best!). But one time I didn't have enough eggs and used half the amount of whole eggs. It could work in reverse.