Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advice On Renting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi people, i have a question in regards to the best way to approach renting in my situation.
I am currently in full time employment in Birmingham, saving hard to move to Manchester next year where i have a confirmed place at a Media School. I have already started saving as much of my wages as possible in order to get onto the renting property ladder comfortably. I am planning on moving away with my girlfriend who is currently finishing her degree and is planning on finding a job in childcare before we go down there if possible. Therefore student housing is not something we are interested in, we are looking for a comfortable one bedroom flat and i am interested to know what advice you could give me on renting for the first time and specifically based on my situation as i am completely new to it and any general advice you can give financially would be great.
Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Home Law & Money section on the main part of The Site has some good information. You need to consider where you wnat to move and what you need, transport links, parking, shopping, nightlife etc.

As for budgeting, you need to sit down and work out how much you need to pay out rent, rates (council tax, electric, gas, water), food, insurance, household items, travelling and also money to save/spend on yourselves can soon add up.
    Thanks for the great advice. What is the best way to work out rough costs of running a small 1 bedroom place for 2? Anybody had experience with renting a 1 bedroom place for 2 and the rough costs per year it takes? I do understand this very much depends on a lot of things, but i'm just looking for any kind of rough guidelines.
    me and my boyfriend recently moved in together and we found our current place on rightmove.co.uk :)
    we're currently living in a shared house with two other professional people, the rents £325 a month, and the bills are included :)