Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mould

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was rummaging through my dry food box in my room earlier to find something to eat. I don't keep dried food in our kitchen as we don't have much cupboard space, so I just stick what needs to be in the fridge freezer and the rest sits in my room. Plus I don't trust my flatmates not to nick it, but nevermind.

Anyhoo, I stumbled upon a jar of pasta sauce and a jar of pineapple chunks in syrup. Neither had been opened and both were in date, yet both had a layer of mould at the top.:yuck:

How? Should I be storing things differently? Neither said they had to be refrigerated until they were opened.

x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's weird. Maybe the seals were broken without you realising?
    That is odd. Sealed containers of food very rarely grow mould because the environment inside the container is no good for them to grow in, although I'm assuming these aren't tins.

Only thing I can think of is that as suggested the seals/containers were somehow breached and air got in. Have they been kept in a warmish place? Are they near any heaters?
    I just wondered if your cupboard you keep them in is damp? Was there mould inside the tins or on the outside?
    No damp, they're in a cardboard box under my desk. However, my room is absurdly hot but the uni won't adjust the heating. My rad is turned off but there is some sort of under floor heating.

x
    Would definitely be better to keep them in a cooler place. If your room has an en suite the room would be an ideal place for mould and nasty things to grow!
    No damp, they're in a cardboard box under my desk. However, my room is absurdly hot but the uni won't adjust the heating. My rad is turned off but there is some sort of under floor heating.

x

Try buying a plastic box instead - one with a lid. I got mine from Morrisons when I first went to uni last year and it served me well :). It was right next to the heater, too and nothing went off. Also try putting something under it, like a towel or a flattened cardboard box or something, so it's not directly on the heated floor.
    Pound shops have loads of really good storage!
    Would definitely be better to keep them in a cooler place. If your room has an en suite the room would be an ideal place for mould and nasty things to grow!

Yeah, my room does have an en suite :(

Plastic box. I need a few it seems as my physio advised me to get one after my trolley bag broke...

x