Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Never again...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am I having a 3 week break between aerobics sessions...because as today showed, I lose fitness really quickly!

For one reason or another I've not been able to attend my usual class (slept right through one week, no money the other and last week the class was ruddy full!). I trot off today and find that after 15 mins I'm ready to collapse again.

Prior to the wee break I had been able to do the whole class at medium intensity and yeah, feel hot/tired, but able to finish the class without collapsing.

So no more breaks! Although the instructor is off till first week in february so I need to find me a new class whilst on my uni break or take up swimming again in the mean time.

Is it common to lose fitness so ruddy quickly?!..well, I don't know if you could call it fitness - tolerance to exercise perhaps? Haha.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    Am I having a 3 week break between aerobics sessions...because as today showed, I lose fitness really quickly!

For one reason or another I've not been able to attend my usual class (slept right through one week, no money the other and last week the class was ruddy full!). I trot off today and find that after 15 mins I'm ready to collapse again.

Prior to the wee break I had been able to do the whole class at medium intensity and yeah, feel hot/tired, but able to finish the class without collapsing.

So no more breaks! Although the instructor is off till first week in february so I need to find me a new class whilst on my uni break or take up swimming again in the mean time.

Is it common to lose fitness so ruddy quickly?!..well, I don't know if you could call it fitness - tolerance to exercise perhaps? Haha.

I'm not sure, but I can say that I'm the same. It happens with me over a month or two and then I might as well not bother! Haha!
    i do loose muscle tone quickly but i've got a pretty strong heart so i don't loose my actual fitness quickly...

but i need to do far more upper body work. i have horrible arms!
    hi curvy lass,

Hows things?

Maybe it is a good thing to take a break for a wee while. You might be able to find something else in between to start?

Hope all goes well?

I am going to start a sports leadership course next year....I wonder what things i will have to do. My exercise is walking but hmmmph not in the cold...and have a cold which does not help me at the moment.

I think you may need a rest and the break will do you good. Besides you can only do what you can.
    Hey Becks, all good here thanks - how are things with you?

If I'm honest with you hun...the break is what has done the trouble - I enjoy aerobics and just need to build up my fitness again. It's just gutting having to start from scratch again :(

I'm going to swim/aqua aerobics whilst at home I think!

Good luck with the start of your SL course, I'm sure you will be fab :D
    When I first started swimming again on a regular basis, I found it hard to keep my fitness up if I missed sessions. 6 months in and I have much more stamina.
    I do try Rachie004 - I'm still new to the concept of exercise. I'm the laziest person I now and find motivating myself pretty hard going at times so doing the aerobics is a step in the right direction.

You are correct though, I should be exercising more then once a week!
    I used to swim weekly, and my swimming instructor used to say something along the lines of (this is probably not accurately remembered!)- after 3 weeks, for every week missed it will take 2 weeks to regain that level of fitness.

so I'd imagine it's very normal to loose your level of fitness quickly :)
    i do loose muscle tone quickly but i've got a pretty strong heart so i don't loose my actual fitness quickly...

but i need to do far more upper body work. i have horrible arms!

Having a strong heart makes little difference in how fast you lose your fitness. Its your lungs and muscles that need to be strong and they will suffer dystrophy (sp?) eventually.
    No pain, no gain. Not really sure what that has to do with anything :p just wanted to say it...
    you lose your fitness twice as fast as you gain it. <-- that sounds grammatically and/or lexically incorrent, so ......

... in other words, if you increased your cardiovascular fitness by a certain amount over 4 months, then in 2 months your fitness would be back to where it was before you started the 4 months of training.

annoying but true! :p
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Since ive starting smoking, ive noticed my fitness go up? weird eh...

i don't want to sound depressing or annoying but over the years if you keep on smoking, you will definitely notice an increase in shortness of breath. your fitness does not directly go up by smoking by any means..... i wish! :lol:
    Sorry About The Double&triple Posting

sorry everyone, i just realised i double posted (and am now triple posting), it won't happen again!! :blush: