Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Employment Problem - Off sick & Work wouldn't allow return!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, this is my first post so please bear with me.

My wife is employed working night shifts at a nursing home. She wasn't well on friday (5th Dec) as she was being sick and phoned them to let them know she wouldnt be in for that nights shift.

The woman that she spoke to sighed and said she'd have to cover the other two following day's shifts as well.

Of course my wife said she'd probably be ok to go in, but again was told that she couldn't.

Upon phoning her employer today she's been told that she won't get paid for any of the 3 shifts that she wasn't in. This is despite her reitterating that it was THEM who had said she couldn't go in for 2 of the shifts.

Is this legal?

cheers
MM1

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Best to check with an employment law expert but fairly certain if you work with food or in a medical environment you have to be fit to work for 48 hours before you can return to work, particularly if its food poisoning etc.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If I have a sickness bug I am told that I cannot go into work for 48 hours. I have to be clear during this time as during this time you can pass on the bug. After 48 hours you are clear.

Even my union agreed with this.

And given the fact that she is working in a nursing home, with potentially vulnerable people, I think it is right that she isn't in work.

Whether or not she is paid will depend on terms of her contract and the like.
  • Options
    Check with the contract on what sickness pay is.

I get half pay on sick days, meanings that I can still get full pay as long as I work half a day extra later on.
  • Options
    I think thats pretty normal for most jobs of that type. Youd be very lucky to get sick pay
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Check with the contract on what sickness pay is.

:yes: check out TheSite.org's factsheet on sick pay too.
  • Options
    My sick pay is dependent on the number of shifts that I do. So basically, I'm allowed to be off sick one day a year because I work one day a week or something like that.
    But aye, check the factsheet! Better idea!