Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sickness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I just had a coughing fit and was sick due to it. 5 minutes before I had taken my pill. Will this effect my pill? I have a 'spare' pill from a pack which I forgot to take one, should I take this just in case? Or carry on like usual and make sure I use extra protection?

Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• Options
    Have you read the leaflet inside, that should tell you.
  • Options
    That could mean "5 minutes before I thrw up I had taken my pill", in which case you probably threw up the pill as well.
  • Options
    if you had taken your pill and then 5 minutes later you were sick, then you need to take your spare.

If you were sick and then 5 minutes later you took your pill, then it is fine, you dont need to take your spare.

I wasnt quite sure what you meant
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    if you had taken your pill and then 5 minutes later you were sick, then you need to take your spare.

Good question – I’m glad you asked. As SuzyCreamcheese says, if you’re sick any time within two hours after you have taken a pill, it may well not work so you must always take another one immediately! The Family Planning Association has some official advice here.

I’m guessing since this was yesterday that this is too late, so remember to use extra protection e.g. a condom for a full week. The same applies if you forget and take your pill more than 12 hours late, or if you’re on antibiotics. If in doubt, I’d say, just break out the condoms anyway!

The pill is very unlikely to have caused the coughing itself, so you might want to address that too. Have you been to the doctor about it? Sounds nasty...
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the advice :) I took my spare pill that day and going to be extra careful xx
  • Options
    Storall wrote: »
    I just had a coughing fit and was sick due to it. 5 minutes before I had taken my pill.

hey storall, this part of your post is quite ambiguous, maybe you could rephrase it?

my advice is that it's best to check the leaflet, otherwise ask a pharmacist or a doctor.

hope you're feeling better now!