Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Oyster card prices...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
At the moment to travel from work and back I just have to go 3 stops on the train...
At the moment I just buy a weekly season ticket from my starting station to the destination station and it costs me £9.20...

I have an Oyster card and they are just fitting in the touch point things at each station. I can't seem to find pricing information for the Oyster card...

I assuming getting a travel card on it isn't worth it (I would need zones 1 to 4 and I'm sure a 7 day travel card in these zones would cost a lot more than £9.20 a week..)

So would it be cheaper for me to touch in and out each way with my Oyster or stick to buying season tickets?

cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Which stations?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    at the moment you can only use an pay as you go oyster card on a very limited number of overground lines - I think betweeen London bridge and charing x and a few others but i can't remember them all. the rail companies and tfl have not yet come to an agreement about using pay as you go on the other lines but you can use a travel card but as you pointed out thats more expensive than you are currently paying.

If your curently getting a weekly season you could save more money by buying a monthly or yearly.
    I didn't even mean zones 1 to 4... I was thinking if I went into London lol

It's actually 4 to 6 I think...

Anyway its Hackbridge to Cheam
    Wyetry wrote: »
    If your curently getting a weekly season you could save more money by buying a monthly or yearly.

Yeah I did think about that... I just don't trust myself not to lose it lol

At least this way if I do it isn't much...

See that's the kind of thing I can't find on there website anyway, I don't even know what the price of a monthly or yearly one would be.
    Here are the current prices - due to go up again in January.
    PSS - SEASON STD 1 Months 0 Days ATO
    00700 - NOT LONDON

1 Adult 35.40 = £ 35.40

Standard Class Season

Standard Class Season
    To : 5352 CHEAM
    PSS - SEASON STD 3 Months 0 Days ATO
    00700 - NOT LONDON

1 Adult 106.00 = £ 106.00

Standard Class Season

PSS - SEASON STD 6 Months 0 Days ATO
    00700 - NOT LONDON

1 Adult 212.00 = £ 212.00

Standard Class Season

Standard Class Season
    PSS - SEASON STD 12 Months 0 Days ATO
    00700 - NOT LONDON

1 Adult 368.00 = £ 368.00

Standard Class Season

Standard Class Season

Oyster is valid for Travelcards on all National Rail services within London (except HEx). A 7 day Oyster is about £20 currently allows you train between your stations and all buses within Greater London. Readers are being installed now to allow the use of PAYG which all TOC's must do by about 2012.
    Cool, thanks for the info mate. Very useful.
    JsT wrote: »
    Here are the current prices - due to go up again in January.

Oyster is valid for Travelcards on all National Rail services within London (except HEx). A 7 day Oyster is about £20 currently allows you train between your stations and all buses within Greater London. Readers are being installed now to allow the use of PAYG which all TOC's must do by about 2012.
    If you're under 25 get your railcard put on it, then you will cap at £3.90 for zones 1-2.
    Or work for TfL and get free travel :thumb:
    piccolo wrote: »
    If you're under 25 get your railcard put on it, then you will cap at £3.90 for zones 1-2.
    can you get that put on your student oyster cos i'm spending silly money from zones 1-5 and its still cheaper than a weekly or monthly!
    can you get that put on your student oyster cos i'm spending silly money from zones 1-5 and its still cheaper than a weekly or monthly!
    I think so, yes
    piccolo wrote: »
    I think so, yes
    Doesn't say you can't in the fares manuals but it doesn't say you can - worth a go?
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Yeah I did think about that... I just don't trust myself not to lose it lol

If you get a season ticket you have to have a photo card - which means that noone else can use your ticket if you loose it and you can also get the money refunded. Also i once lost mine on the bus and someone handed it in to tfl and a few days later it made its way to my local station and they gave it back to me.

you are also allowed to "forget" your ticket up to 3 times a year as well - you have to pay for your fare but you dont' normally need to pay the penalty fine - but that does depend on the ticket inspector