Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Audiobooks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Recently I've found myself on the tube with an ipod and no paper, which isn't really enough to occupy my mind. So... does anyone listen to audiobooks? Do you have any good ones to recommend?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Recently I've found myself on the tube with an ipod and no paper, which isn't really enough to occupy my mind. So... does anyone listen to audiobooks? Do you have any good ones to recommend?

I had the Hobbit on audiobook ages ago, was actually pretty good. Maybe get a dirty erotic novel?
    The recent Dune adaptations have been pretty good - but be warned, don't get the crap ones done a few years back. You want the releases available from http://audible.co.uk.

Especially with Dune, and to a degree the later books in the series, they do a remarkable job of creating something pretty close to audio play rather than simple audiobook.

There's a whole series of John Le Carre novels that were read by Michael Jayston that are great, hard-boiled realistic spy stuff.

There's a website called audiofile that's some strange American website full of reviews of audiobooks but it's one of those - 'no we're a real magazine and you must subscribe to read' websites. pfft. However They do books of the year that might help you find something that seem to be available online (then just got o amazon to read the reviews) - here's 2004:
    http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/best_of_2004.html

The BBC's 'Greek and Latin voices' series was an incredible journey through some significant historical moments brought to life with real care.

Outside of simple audiobooks it's also worth remembering some great stuff appears on radio that never makes TV.

Book's at Bedtime on radio 4 can actually be really good, just track down books you'd like to hear and the reading will be spot on, especially in the last few years of more experimental and challenging works.

The BBC has also done a huge amount of radio dramas over the years - and it's all worth checking out. If it's a bestseller it's worth looking to see if the BBC made a version of it. His Dark Materials and the seminal Lord of the Rings stand out.

Two comedies that have been going strong for years and that really show that radio is the place to do big things on small budgets are -

Old Harry's Game - Andy Hamilton writes and stars as Satan, a miserable cynic depressed about the trials of running hell when the world above seems even worse. Great series, very funny, about six series worth and featuring almost the entire cast of the great Chelmsford 123...

The Museum of Everything - Marcus Brigstoke and pals really showing off just how fantastically funny they can be - 'A million badgers all under one roof... Badgerland, badgerland! BADGERLAND!'
    I was thinking about audio books, but knowing me, I will fall asleep whilst listening to them. Thanks Jim.
    Thanks for the suggestions :)

Maybe I'll ask for some of those for xmas... for now I managed to get hold off Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas so I'm giving that a go!
    Jim V wrote: »
    Old Harry's Game - Andy Hamilton writes and stars as Satan, a miserable cynic depressed about the trials of running hell when the world above seems even worse. Great series, very funny, about six series worth and featuring almost the entire cast of the great Chelmsford 123...

Andy Hamilton is amazing. I :heart::heart::heart: his stuff. Trevors world of sport is another good one of his.
    He's the really great TV writer of the last 20 years - Outnumbered, his BBC show that's currently being shown is superb and just proves again how funny he is.