Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do your look forward to office parties, Christmas dinner for all staff at the workplace and perhaps meeting up with departmental staff for Curry too? Then there's all that about giving and receiving greetings cards to colleagues. And will you finish work early on Christmas Eve?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Theres a secret santa thing going on at work, but only between each small team at work, so you know who you are buying for.

Also probly going to finish work at 1pm or such, and go to the pub for a couple of drinks befroe heading home.
    Thank god I don't get asked to any bloody work-related Christmas parties. I suppose this might be one advantage of being umemployed this time of year. :p
    Back at my old work in england....I loved our christmas parties! I used to work with loads of mates, so we'd always get fucking smashed, they were brilliant!
    Not sure if I'll have a work xmas party this year as I'm in the middle of changing jobs now. Going to my girlfriend's work xmas party next weekend though, should be fun. We get transportation to a posh place in Brisbane...
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    And will you finish work early on Christmas Eve?

Will I CHUFF, the bloody scrooges. Although in their face, cause I'm having it as bastard holiday whether they like it or not. :grump:

I'm also boycotting the Christmas party because I hate the company and all it stands for, but also because it's at some shitty hotel with about 5 people I actually like, and then 200 middle aged women (with gigantismo chips on their shoulder and a penchant for lambrini) scoffing Jack Fulton buffet food and making twats of themselves on the dancefloor. And all for more money that it costs for a normal (fun) night out. No ta.
    I quite like our Xmas do's. We're having a small one with the team (about 10 people) at lunch time and then we'll meet up with all the rest of the department for drinks and the likes around town till the early hours. 12+ hours of drinking is always fun and I work with a good group of people.

Actually taken the 3 days before xmas off this year, but normally would finish at about 12pm on Xmas eve if I was working it and tbf no work would have been done in the morning either!
    this will be my first xmas party at my new job and im quite looking forward to it. having some sort of party in the office to begin with which could be interesting. and we're not in at all on xmas eve. or the day before xmas eve so it's all worked out very well!
    Having our work Xmas party st some mixed company thing at SeOne of all places. sit down meal, band and dj apprently. plus all you can drink wine and beer and company is paying for it all :D
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Do your look forward to office parties, Christmas dinner for all staff at the workplace and perhaps meeting up with departmental staff for Curry too? Then there's all that about giving and receiving greetings cards to colleagues. And will you finish work early on Christmas Eve?

Do you ever actually answer your own questions? Or join the discussion? Or merely ask?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have my Christmas tree up and the Christmas do is a week next Thursday. We finish on Friday 19th and we are finishing at 1.30pm. w00t :yippe:
    A work we're not having out christmas do till after xmas. We left it too late to book anything and no one can really decide what to do. I doubt I'll get to finish early on christmas eve, if we do it will be 5 instead of 6.
    I work as a support staff in a school- break up on 19th Dec. Will be in the workplace till 23rd Dec- Christmas eve our site is closed. Our school Xmas thing for staff is a big buffet night which carries on till 11.30pm. Not my sort of stuff- teachers stick to and dance with each other. Other members of my team aren't going. Comes to Greetings cards it's women's stuff- men don't care especially at work. Our department- teaching and support team- are meeting for an Indian meal next week- everyone going!
    My workplace provides us with a free Christmas meal, free booze and dancing until around 3am in the morning at a top Torquay hotel. They get a tax rebate up to a certain amount so strictly speaking, I am sure ANY business can claim that back.

How we do it is, say there are 200 people but only 150 are going, we still claim all 200 are going. So the extra cash made goes behind the bar. Mmmm!
    We've got two Christmas outings planned, one big one for the whole service in our region (work in admin for the NHS) and one smaller one just for our team :) We're also doing a secret santa, and will get to leave at about 1pm on Christmas Eve :yippe:
    I'm the sole organiser of our work socials. I arrange monthly curry nights, bowling, canal trip. I also tried to arrange a rock climbing event but that fell through. But yeah, I gotta sort out the Christmas do - got the place booked. The MD kindly gave half towards the cost (£9.50 out of £19.50) and I'm now in the process of getting the other half of the money off everyone. Some people paid six weeks ago, others I'm still chasing, the buggers :-D
    We are having ours in january as well - mainly because we left it too late to organise and noone is in the office as they are all off using up leave before the end of the year - plus in january we have a meeting with the international staff so we can then include them as well so they dont' get left out.

I'm provisionally working on christmas eve but as i work flexi time and i'm not expecting many other people to be in i will probably go at about 3 or ummm 12 or something
    Curry with the boys from the office in a couple of weeks and then the
    "proper" Xmas meal (with our other office) on the 23rd. Then I'm off for a week. :hyper:
    We don't have a party as a company - mostly shift workers so someone would have to miss out. We all get a £20 supermarket voucher from the company - it's supposed to replace the turkeys they used to give out in the olden days! ;)

Within our little lunch gang, eight of us, we're having a secret santa and a buffet lunch (bought from the extra vouchers we order for the above.. shhhh!). That's on Dec 17th. We're hoping to go bowling in mid-January too.

Normally we work until 1635hrs, but the snr member of our dept leaves at 1450hrs on a Wednesday and as Xmas Eve is a Weds and she'll be going, I think it'll be mighty unfair if we're not allowed to go at that time too! I think the big boss will be generous and let us go at 1500hrs ;)

I'm working 29-31st but I've got an appointment first thing on Mon morning so I don't have to go into work until about 1130. I've booked 2nd Jan off work and we're going away for the weekend for a break before going back to work proper on 5th Jan.
    You lucky buggers!

Because I chose the stupid profession of being a chef, I have to now work my arse of all the way through December, have absolutly no chance of finishing early on Christmas eve and have to come into work the next day and serve more people that I have ever done before!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Still, we have a 'Christmas' party sometime in January when we will be having virtually zero customers in and can afford to close the restaurant.
    There's far too many in our company (over 250) for us to do secret santa and shit like that so people are just organising parties amongst themselves. Gonna go to a couple and see what the craic is like.
    this year will be my first xmas with my new employers....we are trying to organise something for next year as it will be less busy for us all. It is soooooooo impossible to get everyone together to let their hair down before xmas.
    I have just finished writing my cards to my colleagues as I think it is a thoughtful gesture from my part.
    No other parties to go to and I am quite relieved not be doing the party scene anymore.
    When I used to work in the city I had loads to cope with. Lots of nights getting merry xmased...hic hic
    small talking parties, i never could stomach them
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    There's far too many in our company (over 250) for us to do secret santa and shit like that so people are just organising parties amongst themselves. Gonna go to a couple and see what the craic is like.

200 People at the place I work that, you just organise it in your smaller teams.