Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

headaches

does anyone know of any pain killers that actually work?

im really suffering from lots of headaches at the moment. i seem to have them all the time.

paracetomol and things dont help though :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where in your head are they?
    If your headache doesn't go away with OTC painkillers you should probably see a doctor.

That said, if you take paracetamol too often it GIVES you a headache.
    Aparting from seeing your GP; try something like 4head, works for my headaches.
    Olive wrote: »
    That said, if you take paracetamol too often it GIVES you a headache.

Yup.
    how's your diet*...i think that can cause headaches etc if you arent getting the right amount and balance.

* - by diet i mean general intake/variety of food.....NOT how much you are eating.
    kangoo wrote: »
    Where in your head are they?

errr i think it varies but right now, its on front right side of my head. it changes alot though.

amira, my diet is fine. eating lots of fruit and veggies :)
    i definately drink enough water! i drink about 2-3 litres a day!
    My mum (who gets a lot of migraines) suggested to me (when I told her I had one) Paramol. Unfortunately after Rich bought a big box of 32 pills and I'd taken 6 of them (not all at once) I realised that my body apparently doesn't like them and they made me throw up. A lot. To the point that by the end of the first day it was probably more like dehydration that was making me sick because I couldn't even keep water down.

I'd start with the doctor, tbh. In the meantime, Nurofen plus is working fine for me right now and I get DISGUSTING headaches.
    I have a dairy intolerance that gives me intense headaches which sometimes progress to migraine. Could try cutting out anything containing cow-juice? Unless you've tried this already?

Hope you sort it out or find a pain killer that works. Of course if you take pain killers regularly you can become 'immune' to them so best find out the cause of your headaches so you dont need the pills. Good Luck.
    Midrid is really good. You usually have to ask behind the counter for it but it is the only headache tablets that work for me. It contains paracetamol as well as another drug which helps reduce the swelling in the blood vessels in your head (which is what causes tension headaches).
    Just be aware that paracetamol is one of the worst drugs you can take for headaches on a long-term basis as it's one of the main drugs that can make headaches worse if you take too much of it.

Given that there are lots of types of headaches and none of us can diagnose the type and cause, this is probably something for the GP.
    I use Syndol for tension headaches. It's amazing - half a pill will work wonders while standard painkillers barely do anything. However it is addictive and will cause headaches itself if you take it regularly (I used to take too much and weened myself down to half a pill a couple of times a week).
    Have you got central heating ? Well known cause of headaches this time of year. You shouldn't be taking OTC medication for more than a few days (3ish) without then seeing your G.P. as there maybe something wrong.
    As others have said, paracetomol is very bad for rebound headaches. Ibuprofen- does same job as nurofen- just not branded, may be more helpful, as it's a NSAI, though again you have to be careful about how often you take it. Anything like that shouldn't be taken more than 3 times a week on a regular basis if possible.

Definitely see your doctor as headaches can be a warning sign for lots of different things. Is it worse around your cycle?
    Co-codamol may be helpful if paracetomol doesn't touch it, you can get it OTC aswell.
    Anything stronger than that you'll need to see yur dr for really!
    Hope you can get it sorted out soon!
    hedex

Hedex always works for me better than prescribed medication and i have severe migranes
    I usually go with ibuprofen, asparin or paracetomol, in that order and not all at once.

If they don't work then paracetomol and codeine does the trick. You can get these over the counter. Bear in mind that codeine is an opiate and may have other effects.

As others have said, don't take any of these drugs for long periods of time without first consulting your doctor. If possible it's better to try and find the cause of the headaches rather than just treating the pain.

There's also some info on thesite, including possible causes and treatments besides drugs.
    co-codamol, or syndol, like someone else said be careful they are highly addictive.