Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

mitigating circumstances because the uni fucked up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
basically, we've been set an exam on our studenty intraweb thing (blackboard), and as we've only ben given a week's notice, i haven't been able to arrange any of my special exam arrangements- a 5 min break every 30 mins, a reader if i need them, 25% extra time, sheltered conditions etc...all of which are due to my various mental fuck ups (or gifts depending if i'm having a good day or a bad one)

Thus, i can only do my best, but i don't think i'm going to be able to finish 50 questions in 60 mins...

because this is my first exam, and we were only give a week's notice, i didn't have a clue as to what i needed to do inorder to sort all of this out. And it seems a week is really not enough time to arrange it all, a reader need 2 weeks notice, and blackboard i don't think can extend the time limit for one person.

I've sent my tutor an email, but i don't know if anything can be done now, as the exam is monday...i have requested a paper version, in which case i can have some extra time, take breaks and have sheltered conditions, if not a reader. But i i don't even think this is going to be able to be done, in which case my only other choice is to put in for mitigating circumstances, saying that we weren't given enough notice about what was happening and thus without my prescribed special arrangements i couldn't perform to the standard i normally would. But my uni are reknowned for turning down student's migitating circumstances claims, and this is a core module that i have to pass in order to get into next year, and my funding will be pulled if i don't get into next year, which means bye bye degree...

HELP!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's really gash, and really stupid that you only get a week's notice before an exam anyway.
    Something should be done, but I don't know how different unis go about things. I reckon that if it happened to me I could get in touch with my tutor or, even better, my director of studies and write a big angry email about it. They'd then pass it on to whoever is in charge and see if they can get a reader etc sorted for you. At my uni it would definitely be the fault of the retarded admin people (they do stupid stuff all the time at exam time) rather than the course organisers (who probably also think this is stupid).
    Something has to be done about it because this is such a stupid situation. Let us know what your tutor says but hopefully you can just get angry enough at enough people that they'll sort it out.
    Deep breath, and calm.

This will not be anywhere as near as bad as you think it will be. I'm not saying for a moment you're over reacting, or that you don't merit the special conditions, BUT you are a very capable young lady and can do just fine in the adverse circumstances.

1. Send a set of emails now.
    • One to your tutor
    • One to the lecturer/course supervisor for this module
    • One to the course leader/head of department/undergrad teaching/year co ordinator/whatever the equivalent for your department is
    • One to the academic affairs officer and/or disabled students officer at you Students union
    • One to the disabilty office
    They can be pretty much the same email, saying that the short notice of the exam meant that you haven't had time to have the special arrangements put in place, although you have tried to but doing x, y and z. You realise it's a compulsory module and thus you are going to turn up and take the exam and do your utmost to deal with the situation but that you know you won't be able to perform as well as you might. Also mention that you are very anxious about it all (you have no need to be, it you just need to make the point that they are causing you extra grief and hassle).

2. Start revising/practising for the exam. Does you uni have a library/computing room that's open at weekends and quiet? Think about going and doing some of your practise/preparation/any other work in there, the surroundings will be quite similar to the exam with other people around etc, and you can show yourself that you'll be ok, it might not be great, but it will be ok.

3. Remember that you've over come a lot to get to where you are now, and you're doing a fab job of making things work out at uni, you'll be ok at this too, and you only need to pass, you might not do yourself justice, but if you can avoid going into mad panic mode and stay cool, calm and collected you can probably scrape a pass which would do the trick in the short term.

xx
    i've sent an email to the lecturer, i'll send one to my personal tutor (even though he's a waste of space) and my course leader (who is actually really good), we have no disabled student's officer in the student union its an unfilled position, but the welfare officer might be a good point of call, and the disablity office already know about it.

it is one of my best subjects, and i've got 2 books at home which i'll look at tonight, because nothing goes in my head within daylight hours, i'll sort out some flashcards, which i could technicaly have with me, as its on the net, and thus i can do it at home...
    Hope something gets worked out for ya!
    well i answered them all, but i think i only got about 62% which isn't great...i so hope this doesn't fuck everything else up!
    well i answered them all, but i think i only got about 62% which isn't great...i so hope this doesn't fuck everything else up!

62% is good!
    :)
    Isn't that a 2:1? That's awesome. x
    andy12345 wrote: »
    Trinity,

May I ask what your neuro-diversities are and how your requirements help you? I am interested in the shelter need, the break every 30 mins and the reader need. You say your mental issues are sometimes gifts. Could you englighten me a bit?
    i have Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, and Irlen's syndrome, plus some other health issues.

the sheltered conditions just means that i get to do my exam in a room by myself, just in case i have a panic attack, or i get disturbed by someone else. the break i have because i have inapropriate grip on pens and i get cramp very easily, plus the irlens means i get eye strain quicker than others. the reader is sometimes helpful as i often will miss read something, as i get visual stress, and my processing time isn't good. I'll start another thread in health about the gifts that neurodiversities can bring. my mental health issues on the other hand, i do not see as gifts, but they are two very seperate things.

and piccolo, it seems to have averaged out at 54% now.... :( still a 2:2 but considering i'm getting 1st's and high 2:1's i was a bit disappointed.
    hardly, i have bad days a lot. but yeah, i suppose i have achieved quite a lot. still have a long way to go...
    I still think that's a pretty good show. You should still let the dept. know about the problems in case there's a way they could discount it when they're calculating degree classification, etc.

They may also be able to help if you mention that your mum's staying with you and adding to general emotional drainage. If you've got someone you trust they might be able to tell you of ways it can be taken account of and still kept in confidence.
    tbh, she's going on saturday, and she hasn't been a hinderance to my uni work just my mental health! It should be ok for this coming semester!
    Well good luck!