Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

the dangers of laxatives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what are they exactly? can they cause cancer? or ibs? i take them frequently, and when i dont i dont experience any chronic constipation. are the lethal? :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They can be lethal if you take more than is recommended by a doctor. It affects levels of something in your body (I'm sure someone else can inform you what those are).
    by lethal do you mean that i could drop down dead? or that over time i could contract something?
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It affects levels of something in your body (I'm sure someone else can inform you what those are).

poo

:yes:
    i take them frequently, and when i dont i dont experience any chronic constipation. are the lethal? :nervous:

May I ask why you take them frequently? Especially when you don't experience constipation when not taking them...
    poo

:yes:
    Yeah :lol: but I meant electrolye balance.
    laxative abuse can cause heart attacks due to electroylte imbalance, i think electroylte imbalances can cause heart attacks after a relatively short time being abused actually

(not a medical professional though)
    May I ask why you take them frequently? Especially when you don't experience constipation when not taking them...

Some idiots take them to lose weight.
    Teagan wrote: »

I'm fully aware of why some people use them - I think most people are. I wanted to know why the OP was taking them, not what "some idiots" may do.

Cheers for your input though, I'll bet the OP probably found it extremely constructive, and interpreted it as being directed at them. :rolleyes:

i dont take them to lose weight. it would only be water weight anyway and id need to take absolutely looooooooads. i guess i just take them cos i like to know that i will "go" definately, rather than leaving it up to the gods to decide :blush:
    How regular do you go? if you don't think you go enough you could try eating more fruit/veg/fibre. Taking the recommended dose for more than few days is probably too much.
    As has been said, if you're using laxatives for more than a few days (a week tops) you should go and see a doctor as there maybe a problem behind all this.
    I'm fully aware of why some people use them - I think most people are. I wanted to know why the OP was taking them, not what "some idiots" may do.

Cheers for your input though, I'll bet the OP probably found it extremely constructive, and interpreted it as being directed at them. :rolleyes:

Yeah - sorry OP.
    i dont take them to lose weight. it would only be water weight anyway and id need to take absolutely looooooooads. i guess i just take them cos i like to know that i will "go" definately, rather than leaving it up to the gods to decide :blush:

That's fair enough but using them too often can make your body rely on them .. and you will land up being even more constipated when you stop. Its best to eat fruit and fibre as a more natural alternative.

Helpful :rolleyes:
    kangoo wrote: »
    Helpful :rolleyes:

Don't YOU get on the band wagon too! :)
    Don't YOU get on the band wagon too! :)

Hehe sorry :D

But if you are going to the toilet okay without them, then it doesn't really serve a purpose, does it...

Over time, you'll damage your bodies ability to go to the toilet naturally. There will come a point where it can no longer excrete its own waste product. As the months and years go by where you are artificially stimulating the nerve endings in the colon, it becomes less and less able to work naturally. There will come a point where colon movement can no longer function without the use of a laxative.
    only take laxatives if you have talked to your doctor

otherwise, stay away from them - they can cause constipation, IBS, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, and even coma and death