Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pet allergies.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I am allergic to cats, dogs and things like the dust in hay...but it's taken me years to realise!

I've had cats all my life and the dogs/horse for nearly 10yrs but in these last couple of years I've noticed my reaction to the above: blocked/runny nose, itchy eyes and sneezing. If the cats rubs his coat on my arm I tend to get itchy skin/reactions etc.

So what can I do about it in the long run? Obviously when I am at uni it's not so much of a problem in the house so I sleep well, but on the home visits I do as part of my training and a lot of these houses have pets, like today for example. Cue 2 very cute tibetan terriers all over me, once the house visit is over I cannot see for my runny/itchy eyes and continuous sneezing. Joke!

Piriton is a bit pricey to be buying regularly, can I get anything long term?

Comments

• Options
    You can get steroid injections that have a long term effect, but they come with associated side effects and are probably a little ott for what you want.

Piriton on prescription, 3 months supply for full dose makes it pretty cheap if you can get it.

Then there's the non medical stuff of changing your clothes after you've been somewhere with animals, washing face and hair (or at least a good brush) not taking your coat into the house etc.
  • Options
    Thqnk you SM :)
  • Options
    sounds as though you may have asthma? You could visit your gp and then they help diagnose your symptoms curvy lass.