Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drinking Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone I know owns a restaurant and normally closes at 11pm - he has a license to sell alcohol until 11pm - but we're looking into doing something for New Years - if he can't sell Alcohol after 11pm - can he sell extra before 11pm and then people can continue drinking what they've already purchased past midnight?

Can you give away free alcohol after 11pm?

Comments

• Options
    People can carry on drinking stuff they have already purchased.

Not sure what laws are in relation to kicking people out, or giving stuff away.

Doesn't everywhere just do what the want on New Year's anyway? ;)
  • Options
    The license will normally state how long drinkers are allowed to remain inside with their alcohol. It's normally half an hour after the last drink was served.

I can't understand though why he can't just get a temporary extension?
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Someone I know owns a restaurant and normally closes at 11pm - he has a license to sell alcohol until 11pm - but we're looking into doing something for New Years - if he can't sell Alcohol after 11pm - can he sell extra before 11pm and then people can continue drinking what they've already purchased past midnight?

Can you give away free alcohol after 11pm?

Have you considered how likely it is that the Police will have the time to kick the door in of a restuarant having a lock in on NYE?
  • Options
    I believe that you would have to have the licence extended. I know that the pub locally here stays open till 1130pm but the licence is for 1am in the morning...I suppose it is up to the owners of the pub or restaurant to extended opening hours.

Not sure about free alcohol ...with the economic situation would be good though hehehe
  • Options
    Tell your mate to get a 1am/2am license full time, then on the odd occassion there might be a large group in or he wants to stay open later he can.

Don't know what it's like applying for an on license but i applied for an off license and it was a doddle.

3 people you can't serve alcohol to

A police officer in uniform, unless he/she has the consent of a superior officer.

Someone under the influence of alcohol.

and a known prostitute :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Tell your mate to get a 1am/2am license full time, then on the odd occassion there might be a large group in or he wants to stay open later he can.

Don't know what it's like applying for an on license but i applied for an off license and it was a doddle.

3 people you can't serve alcohol to

A police officer in uniform, unless he/she has the consent of a superior officer.

Someone under the influence of alcohol.

and a known prostitute :D

Add in any person under the age of 18 or a person over the age of 18 if you suspect that they will provide it to someone underage.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Have you considered how likely it is that the Police will have the time to kick the door in of a restuarant having a lock in on NYE?

Maybe you're right, however NYE is normally fairly quiet except in the city centres. Also the police normally employ licensing officers, as do the council. Whilst closing you down on the night would be impractical, coming round on new years day and taking your licence of you isn't. All it takes to alert them is a phone call from a neighbour who is fed up of the noise or whatever.

Much safer just to apply for an extension, it's normally a piece of piss to get one.