Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Using mobile as a modem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just got unlimited data usage for my phone. According to o2 there's also no fair use policy.

I'd like to use the phone as a modem with my laptop, via bluetooth or usb. How should this be configured?

I have windows vista and a nokia n95 8gb on o2. Any more info needed please let me know! Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to 'connect' the two together via bluetooth or cable.

Has your laptop got built in bluetooth?

From there it's pretty easy - You can even use the PC Suite
    I know about using bluetooth ;) just need to know what to do on the pc. So I can just do it through pc suite? Don't need to configure anything?
    I once used a Nokia 6600 as a dial-up modem by pairing it with my computer via bluetooth. Once paired, you'll see it as a 56k modem in Device Manager. Go into DUN (dial-up networking), create a new connection instructing it to use the mobile's modem and you're good to go.

Not 100% sure with mobile broadband, but I imagine it will be a similar route, once the thing is paired with your computer.
    mmmm cool, hopefully someone figures this out cos it'll be much better than me having to go buy one of those gprs usb sticks and pay a monthly contract.
    I know about using bluetooth ;) just need to know what to do on the pc. So I can just do it through pc suite? Don't need to configure anything?

You should be able to do all of the config using Nokia PC suite. When connecting the cellphone to the internet (provided it is already connected to your computer via cable/bluetooth) you will be prompted with a list of many operators (preconfigured profiles) in different countries, and I just picked mine, then I was ready to go.
    Cheers. I'll give it a go when I'm at home. When I've tried previously I got to a properties box for dialup device and there were a few parameters I didn't know. Hopefully if PC suite can do it for me that'll be easy.

I switched to unlimited data as I got assraped for £65 just on GPRS usage last month :( Will be nice to use with my laptop on the train if possible.
    I switched to unlimited data as I got assraped for £65 just on GPRS usage last month :( Will be nice to use with my laptop on the train if possible.

Thats all your flirting sites for ya haha
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    Thats all your flirting sites for ya haha
    Phonerotica ;)
    Phonerotica ;)

hehe

If you get that done with your mobile, do you mid putting some step by step instructions on here?
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    hehe

If you get that done with your mobile, do you mid putting some step by step instructions on here?
    Sure, I'll do it later if it works ;)
    Sure, I'll do it later if it works ;)

Thanks, I await your reply :thumb:
    It worked first time! Here are some instructions, but it's self explanatory really:

Connect the phone by bluetooth or USB cable
    Open PC suite
    Click on 'connect to the internet'
    Click on configure
    Select the phone from the drop-down list - if it isn't in the list, it's not connected properly
    Click the arrow
    Choose your network from the drop-down list
    Click on finish
    Click on connect

Et voila!
    Cool and Thank You. Only problem is that now Pc Suite is playing up and won't start, I'm guessing it could be something to do with me disabling it at start up but I don't see the point in it having a place in my start up.
    It worked first time! Here are some instructions, but it's self explanatory really:

Select the phone from the drop-down list - if it isn't in the list, it's not connected properly
    Click the arrow
    Choose your network from the drop-down list
    Click on finish
    Click on connect

Et voila!

That should be something along the lines of Nokia Usb modem??

Also what is the configuration to get connected, I have tried o2 Uk but it doesn't work.. I presum because my phone is pay and go but i can't find what setting I should put in for configuring it manually..
    I got it working... wahey!!!

But now internet explorer doesn't recognise that I'm connected through it and won't display me webpages...

Hmmm, and nowhere in google have I found a troubleshoot for this :(