Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm not faking it

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Hannah is pretty angry with people who suspect she is lying about having a disability. Check out her rant.

Has anyone else experienced similar prejudice?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh yes, many times, Please don't get me started on the amount of times I've been accused faking it - mainly by bus drivers (because of my bus pass) and nosy members of public.
  • Options
    i can relate to this...
  • Options
    My cousin has cf and I can only imagine the ridiculous glares when she has a coughing fit in public. Unfortunately I think there is a lot of ageism involved as well, you're more likely to be suspected if you fit into the young person age bracket. Can only really sigh at the stupidity and ignorence of some people. I hope Hannah doesn't let it put her off public transport. You get so many idiots around.
  • Options
    i'm a recovering anorexic, i'm at a healthy weight now but i still have many anorexic thoughts and struggles with food, it takes a lot of mental energy to stay at a healthy weight and i still see my psychiatrist and dietitian weekly to get weighed, regulate medication etc, and i've been admitted into hospital twice for two 3 month stays. i feel like i have to put up some photos on facebook from when i was at my lowest weight to prove to people that i actually did have a serious problem.

i also have depression and anxiety/panic disorder.. a lot of people wouldn't know that i have depression because i can be very bubbly in public, and a lot of people still think you can "snap out of it". i actually spent a whole term away from school when my depression got so bad that i couldn't motivate myself to get out of bed, and i overdosed on my medication as an intentional suicide attempt.. luckily, my parents found me and took me to the ER before it was too late.

there is so much stigma towards mental illness, it really frustrates me, a lot of people can look "normal" and still have mental problems.