Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hppd

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how many of you have HPPD? (hallucinogen persisting perception disorder) otherwise known as "flashbacks" in the DSM IV

my boyfriend has it from too much acid and it really gets him down.. he's been on clonazepam because that's meant to help with it but it made him worse.. anti-psychs don't go down well with him either.

anyone else have it and willing to share your experiences?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yup i have it quite bad, mostly from ecstasy abuse and acid

smoking cannabis tends to potentiate it as do most other drugs (especially the day after etc)

it doesn't bother me all that much although it can be very pronounced, especially when things are dark (green/purple static everywhere!) .. my vision at night has definitely decreased due to this

other than random flashes of light in my vision, or seeing objects 'moving' out of the corner of my eye, which can be startling, i tend to forget about it most of the time, unless im concentrating on it

on the upside, you can really trip yourself and your vision out, ive had objects 'sliding' about the place from staring at them for too long, and saw some fucked up space like scenes with my eyes shut (like floatin around in some mad dimension) .. among other stuff!

some people seem to take worse to it than others, and will get distracted by it a lot easier etc. i have read it does go away after time for a percentage of people but it seems that tends to be after at least a few years of taking nothing
    I had another experience last night.
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    I had another experience last night.

HPPD isn't an "experience", it just doesn't come and go it's something that's there 24/7.

I've had it for over 3 years now, heard some reports that it goes away and some that it stays forever. Mine hasn't decreased so I've just got to accept the fact that it's here to stay unless someone can find a cure.

Haven't taken any medication for it, read that some drugs actually make it worse and wouldn't want to become dependent on prescription drugs anyway. The best way to fight it is to accept it's just there, you get used to it after time. I also find that being hungover makes it worse, the visual disturbances are definitely more pronounced then.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    HPPD isn't an "experience", it just doesn't come and go it's something that's there 24/7.

I've had it for over 3 years now, heard some reports that it goes away and some that it stays forever. Mine hasn't decreased so I've just got to accept the fact that it's here to stay unless someone can find a cure.

Haven't taken any medication for it, read that some drugs actually make it worse and wouldn't want to become dependent on prescription drugs anyway. The best way to fight it is to accept it's just there, you get used to it after time. I also find that being hungover makes it worse, the visual disturbances are definitely more pronounced then.

Yes but with it there are many different sorts of experiences and I was referring to a rather strange one I had the evening before that post.
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    Yes but with it there are many different sorts of experiences and I was referring to a rather strange one I had the evening before that post.

What happened?

I've found I need way more sleep than before, as if I'm at all tired my vision gets terrible. I hope this problem goes away in a few years instead of getting worse. It doesn't worry me as much as it used to.. just try and get on with my normal thing, but it is a pain when it comes to reading anything on white paper. :shocking:
    It was a case of seeing colours in my room while I was lying getting ready to sleep, the vision of the colours was quite strange as it seemed to be integrated with the image of a person arms rising up and down, other times peoples heads would have a blurry colour obstructing my ciew of them.

I can honestly say I'm not 100% sure it's HPPD because I haven't done much resaerch but I can't see any other explanation for it.
    but it is a pain when it comes to reading anything on white paper. :shocking:

Aye all sorts of flashing dots and moving black thingys, weird as fuck.

Definitely notice it more in the dark than in normal light. There's varying degrees of it by all the study I've done with it. Just have to get used to it and move on! :thumb: